Skip Navigation

Federal Communications Commission

English Display Options

Commission Document

Transcript for NANC May 17th Meeting

Download Options

Released: September 19, 2011

North American Numbering Council
Meeting Transcript
May 17, 2011 (Final)

I. Time and Place of Meeting.

The North American Numbering Council (NANC)
held a meeting commencing at 9:30 a.m., at the Federal Communications
Commission, 445 12th Street, S.W., TW-C305, Washington, D. C.

II. List of Attendees.

Voting Council Members:
1. Hon. Betty Ann Kane
NANC Chairman (NARUC DC)
2. Hon. Geoffrey G. Why
NANC Co-Chairman (NARUC MA)
3. Mary Retka
CenturyLink
4. Valerie Cardwell
Comcast Corporation
5. Karen Reidy
CompTel
6. Suzanne Howard
Cox Communications, Inc.
7. Michael Altschul
CTIA The Wireless Association
8. David Greenhaus
800 Response Information Services
9. Gregory Diamond
Level 3 Communications, LLC
10. Joel Cheskis
NASUCA
11. Jerome Candelaria
NCTA
12. John McHugh
OPASTCO
13. Rosemary Emmer
Sprint Nextel
14. Anna Miller
T-Mobile USA, Inc.
15. Thomas Soroka, Jr.
USTA
16. Kevin Green
Verizon
17. Brendan Kasper
Vonage
18. Tiki Gaugler
XO Communications
Special Members (Non-voting):
John Manning
NANPA
Amy Putnam
PA
Faith Marcotte
Welch & Company

Commission Employees:
Marilyn Jones, Designated Federal Officer (DFO)
Deborah Blue, Special Assistant to the DFO
Ann Stevens, Deputy Chief, Competition Policy Division
Sanford Williams, Competition Policy Division
Gary Remondino, Competition Policy Division
Heather Hendrickson, Competition Policy Division

III. Estimate of Public Attendance.

Approximately 30 members of the public
attended the meeting as observers.

IV. Documents Introduced.

(1)
Agenda
(1a)
Public Notice Proposed NANPA Fund Size Estimate and Contribution
Factor for July 2011 through June 2012
(1b)
Order Petition of Telcordia Technologies Inc. to Reform or Strike
Amendment 70, to Institute Competitive Bidding for Number Portability
Administration and to End the NAPM LLC's Interim Role in Number
Portability Administration Contract
(2)
NANC Meeting Transcript March 9, 2011
(3)
North American Numbering Plan Administration (NANPA) Report to the
NANC
(4)
National Thousands Block Pooling Administrator (PA) Report to the NANC
(5)
Numbering Oversight Working Group (NOWG) Report
(5b)
2010 PA Performance Evaluation Report
(5c)
2010 NANPA Performance Evaluation Report
(6)
Billing and Collection Agent Report
(7)
Billing and Collection Working Group (B&C WG) Report to the NANC
(8)
North American Portability Management (NAPM) LLC Report to the NANC
(9)
Implementation of FCC Order on LNPA Selection Process
(10)
Local Number Portability Administration Working Group (LNPA WG)
Status Report to the NANC
(11) Industry Numbering Committee (INC) Report to the NANC
(12) Future of Numbering (FoN) Working Group Report to the NANC
(12a) Letters in Response to White Paper on Toll Free Resources, Allocation,
Assignment and Management
(12b) White Paper on Toll Free Resources, Allocation, Assignment and
Management May 14, 2010
2

V. Table of Contents.

1. Announcements and Recent News


4

2. Approval of Meeting Transcript from March 9, 2011
6
3. Report of the North American Numbering Plan Administrator
(NANPA)
7
4. Report of the National Thousands Block Pooling Administrator (PA) 11
5. Report of the Numbering Oversight Working Group (NOWG) 15
6. Report from the North American Numbering Plan Billing and

Collection (NANP B&C) Agent
21
7. Report of the Billing and Collection Working Group (B&C WG)
23
8. North American Portability Management (NAPM) LLC Report
25
9.
Implementation of FCC Order on LNPA Selection Process
26

10. Report of the Local Number Portability Administration Working
Group (LNPA WG) 40
11. Status of the Industry Numbering Committee (INC) activities 50
12. Report of the Future of Numbering Working Group (FoN WG)
56
13. Summary of Action Items
64
14. Public Comments and Participation (five minutes per speaker)
--
15. Other Business


--

VI. Summary of the Meeting.

CHAIRMAN KANE: We will get started with the meeting. For the record
this is the stated meeting of the North American Numbering Council, and we are
meeting at the Federal Communications Commission at 445 12th Street S.W., in the
3

Commission Hearing Room, and it is 9:40 a.m. on Tuesday, May 17, 2011.
A couple of housekeeping things. When you go to speak, do a little pause
right at the beginning so that the gentleman who is managing the microphones can
switch your microphone on because all the microphones are off unless you're
actually speaking. But, after I recognize you, just take a pause and allow him to
switch it on.

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND RECENT NEWS

Secondly, we do have some new material that was given out. I think the only
new thing, and it really comes under Announcements and Recent News, that had not
been circulated previously is that last evening the Bureau, the Wireline Competition
Bureau, did issue an Order DA 11-883 in the matter of Petition of Telcordia
Technologies Inc. to Reform or Strike Amendment 70, to Institute Competitive
Bidding for Number Portability Administration and to End the NAPM LLC's Interim
Role in Number Portability Administration Contract which was Wireline
Competition Docket 9109, and in Telephone Number Portability CC Docket,
Common Carrier Docket Number 95116. And that was issued last night. I think it
was emailed to everybody. It's short. I'm sure everybody hasn't had a chance really
to read it and digest but we will get to that, but that is an announcement and you do
have paper copies of that before.
And also last evening the Commission in Order Number DA 11-884 was
released in Common Carrier Docket Number 92-237, proposed North American
Number Plan Administration Fund size estimate and contribution factor for July
4

2011 through June 2012 for the coming fiscal year. And you have a press release or
public notice rather on that also before you so we'll take those up as it comes.
Those are the Announcements and Recent News except to announce that as
you know at the last NANC meeting, I did indicate that I was going to ask the
Bureau to name Commissioner Jeff Why of the Massachusetts Telecommunications
Commission to be the Co-Chair.
Traditionally there has been a Co-Chair and it has been brought to my
attention that I needed to do that, and that has been approved and made official by
the Bureau so welcome Jeff to his position there.
Okay, let's do a roll call to see who is here. For the record, I'm Betty Anne
Kane, Chairman of the North American Numbering Council.
MR. WHY: Hello, my name is Jeff Why. I'm with actually it's the
Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka, with CenturyLink.
MS. CARDWELL: Valerie Cardwell, Comcast.
MR. ALTSCHUL:
Michael Altschul representing CTIA.
MR. GREENHAUS: David Greenhaus, Response Information Services.
MR. DIAMOND:
Greg Diamond with Level 3.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Speak up.
MR. CHESKIS: Joel Cheskis, Pennsylvania Office Consumer Advocate on
behalf of NASUCA.
MR. MCHUGH: John McHugh, OPASTCO.
5

MS. EMMER:
Rosemary Emmer, Sprint Nextel.
MS. MILLER:
Anna Miller, T-Mobile.
MR. SOROKA: Tom Soroka, U.S. Telecom.
MR. KASPER: Brendan Kasper with Vonage.
MS. JONES:
Marilyn Jones, FCC.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Do we have anyone on the phone? We do have a
bridge open for members who could not be here in person. At the moment we do not
have anybody on the phone. Okay, thank you.
There is a sign-in sheet that is being circulated for the official record.

APPROVAL OF MEETING TRANSCRIPT

Next item of business is the approval of the transcript of the March 9, 2011
meeting that was sent out by email. Are there any additions or corrections to that
transcript? Hearing none I'll entertain a motion to approve the transcript as
prepared.
MR. ALTSCHUL: I'll move.
MS. RETKA:
Second.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Been moved and seconded. Identify yourself for the
record when you do that.
MR. ALTSCHUL: Mike Altschul, CTIA. I move to approve the
transcript.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from CenturyLink, second.
CHAIRMAN KANE: It's been moved and seconded. All those in favor -
6

COUNCIL MEMBERS:
Aye.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Any opposition or abstention? It has been
unanimously approved. Very good.
Our next item is a report of the North American Numbering Plan
Administrator, better known as the NANPA. John Manning.

REPORT OF THE NORTH AMERICAN NUMBERING PLAN

ADMINISTRATOR (NANPA)

The transcript will be entered into the record as Item 2. The Public Notice of
the Fund Size Estimate and Contribution Factor will be entered in the record as Item
1A, and the Order in the LNPA Selection Process will be entered into the record as
Item 1B. And this NANPA report now will be entered into the record as Item 3.
MR. MANNING:
Thank you, Chairman. Good morning, everybody.
My name is John Manning, Director with North American Numbering Plan
Administration Group.
Beginning on page two of my report, it will give a summary of central office
code activity since the beginning of 2011. The chart at the top of the page on the far
right shows you that today or at least through the end of April of this year, we have
assigned 880 codes, 327 denials, and 113 codes have been reclaimed.
When you take those figures and you annualize the quantity of assignments,
it appears as if we'll be in the neighborhood of around 2600 assignments this year,
which is basically on par with what we experienced in 2010.
I'll make note of one item here in terms of the quantity of returned codes.
7

You'll see we had 113 so far this year compared to roughly 100 last year, and again
that trend seems to be that fewer and fewer codes will be actually returned for a
variety of reasons which I've covered in the past.
In the middle of the page I talk a little bit about area code assignment
activity. To date this year we have assigned no area codes. We've had three area
codes go into service, one in Canada, the 249 area code, and two here in the States,
the first being the 539 area code in Oklahoma and the 929 area code in New York.
Presently we know of one area code that will be coming into service later this
year and that is the Sint Maarten 721 area code. They begin to plan permissive
dialing of this area code at the end of September with mandatory dialing of the area
code beginning in March of 2012.
With regard to area code relief planning, there are two area codes that we're
looking for exhaust to occur within the next 12 months, the first of which is area
code 919 down in North Carolina.
This particular area code has been in relief for quite some time. You have to
go back to 2001 in which an overlay was agreed to by the Commission, the 984 to
overlay the 919 area code but we haven't had need for that 984 for quite some time.
With the recent area code exhaust projections and the projected exhaust of
the 919 occurring in the second quarter of 2012, NANPA initiated discussions with
the Utilities Commission down there that resulted in them issuing an order just
within the past couple of weeks to begin the implementation of the 984 to include the
introduction of mandatory ten digit dialing. The industry will be meeting to put
8

together that plan in just a few short days.
The other area code I'll mention is in Maryland, the 410/443. This particular
area code as well, our area code complex will also introduce a new area code, the
667. NANPA is to notify the Maryland Public Service Commission within ten
months of exhaust of the current 410/443. We expect to be doing so in the next few
months.
Under other relief activities, I've mentioned before the Nebraska 402. We're
basically on watch in that particularly area code. When we reach the level of ten
central office codes available in 402, we will see the beginning of the assignment of
531 NXX codes.
In Pennsylvania the 814, the Public Service Commission did order a split for
the 814. In January of this year the PUC granted numerous petitions for
reconsideration and they're beginning to start the process of gathering input from
both service providers and the industry, again on the planned area code split, and
those activities will be taking place over the next few months.
And in California 408, an area code overlay is planned and the
implementation details with the filing of the application to the Commission, is
planned for later this month.
One other area code, non-geographic area code, the 5YY resource,
specifically 500, 533, and 544 NPA based upon current NRUF submitted utilization
and forecast data combined with assignment activity over the last several months,
NANPA is anticipating that we will see the exhaust of the current resource, the 5YY
9

resource, and we will have to see the introduction of the 566 area code sometime by
the end of 2011.
Finally at the bottom of page three, make note that NANPA did publish the
2010 NANPA Annual Report at the end of March. We also put out our first quarter
2011 letter in the early part of April, and the NPA and NANP exhaust projections
were posted to the NANPA website at the end of April.
The remaining few pages, there is a summary of relief planning activity for
all those area codes projected to exhaust over the next 36 months.
That concludes my presentation. Are there any questions?
CHAIRMAN KANE: Are there any questions for John? Thank you very
much.
MR. MANNING:
Thank you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: I've been informed that there are people on the
phone. We can't hear you. If there are people on the phone could you identify
yourselves?
MR. CANDELARIA: Jerome Candelaria on behalf of NCTA.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you.
MS. HALL: Carolee Hall, Idaho Public Utilities Commission.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Very good.
MS. HYMANS:
Linda Hymans, NeuStar Pooling.
CHAIRMAN KANE: I'm sorry, I didn't hear that.
MS. HYMANS:
Linda Hymans, NeuStar pooling.
10

CHAIRMAN KANE: NeuStar Pooling, thank you.
MR. HEPBURN:
Christopher Hepburn, Pennsylvania Public Utility
Commission.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Very good.
MS. BEATON:
Rebecca Beaton, Washington Commission staff.
MR LAGO: Larry Lago, Oklahoma Commission staff.
MR. MCDONALD: Guy McDonald, Kansas Commission staff.
MS. O'DONNELL: Beth O'Donnell, Cox Communications.
MS. MOREHOUSE: Katie Morehouse, California Public Utilities
Commission.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Very good, thank you all. Since you can't sign in,
we have a sign-in sheet, and we want to be sure the transcript gets the spelling of
everyone's name and title right, if you could just send an email to Deborah Blue
indicating that you were on the call then we can be sure you're recorded correctly in
the transcript. Thank you very much for participating.
Next item would be Item 4 on our agenda, report of the National Thousands
Block Pooling Administrator and that is going to be presented by Amy Putman. And
we will enter this report into the record as Item 4.

REPORT OF THE NATIONAL THOUSANDS-BLOCK POOLING

ADMINISTRATOR (PA)

MS. PUTNAM:
As always, pooling is fine.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And everyone into the pool or out of the pool.
11

(LAUGHTER)
MS. PUTNAM:
The first slide shows the Pooling Administration
activity summary data. As you can see for the last three months, February, March,
and April, we have continued high numbers with respect to part threes. Many of
those are driven by the number of change requests to existing blocks. If you see the
one, two, three, fourth line down in the chart, the number of change requests have
been high for the past few months.
I would note that from January to April 2010, (unintelligible) we processed
30,404 Part 3s. From January to April 2011, we processed 43,507, approximately
13,000 more in the first four months.
The next couple of pages are the PA summary data sorted by type. On page
four we have the summary of rate center information changes. We had a couple of
months, three months there with a lot of activity. January, we had the Indiana and
Arkansas implementations and after those we're kind of back down to a dull roar
with respect to rate center information changes.
Next page shows a reclamation summary. We have been kind of high on a
number of blocks with overdue part fours on the list the past few months. We have
states that are granting extensions and that is the reason that the numbers are high.
So the numbers may be high but the part fours are legitimately on the list.
PAS was up 100 percent of the time and we have other polling related
activities. All of our contractual reporting requirements were met.
With respect to delegated authority petitions, there are currently no petitions
12

for additional delegated authority pending.
And on May 5th, the Mississippi Public Service Commission implemented
the additional mandatory pooling in 662 NPA. That is the last implementation
related to the May 2010 FCC delegated authority order and the chart showing that is
on the top of the next page.
We had no changes with respect to the interim Routing Number Authority
Administration. With respect to permanent pANI, I am aware of that the FCC staff
is working on the change order and we have been working with the INC and with
ESIF.
I attended the ESIF meeting at the ATIS meeting of committees in
Indianapolis May 3rd to 5th, and there was a joint meeting between the ESIF-ECDR
subcommittee and the INC-NARP subcommittee to address questions from INC
relating to issues arising out of the change order, and I think we reached an amicable
solution between the two committees.
The NOWG, we had a More Than Met at our read-out which we are very,
very pleased about. I am sure that that will be part of the NOWG report.
We have no new change orders.
And on page ten we have other PA activities. The first one is a Pooling
Administration staff change. This is a really big deal for us. We are not used to
change, but we did have an employee retire after 11 years at NeuStar.
Dora Wirth had been the Pooling Administrator for a number of states and
effective May 9th, John Auerbach, who actually when we first interviewed John
13

many years ago, Florence Webber was in charge of the Concord office, and she
called me up and told me about this person she wanted to hire, and I said do you
really want to hire someone whose last name is Auerbach?
(LAUGHTER)
But John has been with us for a number of years now, and he was promoted
from the customer service rep help desk to the Pooling Administration position. And
we've hired Evelyn Freeman. She has joined the pooling team as the new customer
service representative.
Evelyn was formerly the administrative assistant in the Concord office and in
that position which we no longer have, Evelyn proved herself to be very organized, a
self-starter, and interested in learning and in those days she did do some back up
processing. So, we are confident that Evelyn will be a wonderful addition to our
pooling team.
The very old overdue Part 4s reconciliation process, a long time ago we
started with the (unintelligible) January 1, 2007 overdue part fours, then we got
approval to go with the 2008. This past year we went the 2009. We now have eight
very old overdue Part 4s. We do not feel that there is anything that we can do at this
point with regard to them, and we are considering this project closed.
The next one I've called the NPAC Scrub, the never ending NPAC Scrub, but
we are actually moving closer in this one too. We are down from the original 9,949
blocks to 66 and, we are hoping that soon I will be reporting that we considered this
project closed.
14

And that is our report for today. Thank you. Any questions?
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. Are there any questions? Any
questions from anyone on the phone? Okay, well, thank you for that good work.
Did that take any action by the NANC to actually close those?
MS. PUTNAM:
No, those are projects that we initiated internally.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Very good. Thank you. Okay, Item 5, the report of
the Numbering Oversight Working Group, and that will be presented by Gwen
Vaughn.

REPORT OF THE NUMBERING OVERSIGHT WORKING GROUP

(NOWG)
MS. ZAHN: Good morning. My name is Gwen Zahn. I work for Verizon
Wireless. I'm a Co-Chair on the NOWG along with Natalie McNamer from T-
Mobile and Laura Dalton from Verizon Communications.
We're going to be covering approximately five things in the presentation
today. The two main items will be the 2010 PA Performance Report and also the
2010 NANPA performance report.
If you'll turn to slide number three, you'll see a summary of the number of
respondents to the 2010 PA survey. We noticed that this year the respondent level
was slightly down from 2009 for the PA. This was our first year of doing an online
survey. We converted from the paper surveys from previous years to an online
format, and we don't yet know if that contributed to the drop in responses and the
total number of respondents but, we will be doing an analysis to see if that might
15

have been a contributing factor.
However if you look back over the previous years, 2008 and earlier, you'll
see the respondent level for 2010 were in line with what had been received in 2008
and earlier.
Slide number four has information on the PA Annual Performance
Assessment and the elements that go into determining the performance ratings.
If you come with me to slide number five, and as Amy noted, the ratings of
the 2010 performance year for the PA was determined by consensus for the NOWG
to be More Than Met. The More Than Met rating is described in detail at the bottom
of slide number five.
Slide numbers six, seven, and eight contain aggregated data from the 2010
Performance Feedback Survey, and if you turn to slide number nine and ten, these
two slides pertain to comments received from the surveys.
Slide number nine talks about the outstanding praise for the PA. The
respondents noted that the PA respond quickly to questions, they are always very
pleasant to work with, and extremely helpful. They provide a high level of expertise
and professionalism and, they're informative and eager to assist.
In slide number ten we pulled out two comments from the survey, and we
requested that the PA maybe look at monitoring the help desk backup support and
training of the PA's to improve accuracy of their response, and to increase their
understanding of the Pooling Administration process.
Overall though and with the review of the comments, we concluded there was
16

nothing in the report indicative of any consistent performance issues of note on slide
number 11.
And then slide number 12, we list four points we'd like the PA to focus on
with regards to possible improvement or enhancements.
Bullet number one is internal training processes. Bullet number two is the
NPAC Scrub that Amy hopes to soon mark as complete. Bullet number three is the
ongoing review of the website, and bullet number four is to work with the NOWG on
the monthly reports they provide to us for our monthly meetings with the
administrator.
The NOWG requests the NANC approve the report and transmit it to the
FCC if approved. This is the draft performance report to which I'm referring.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you.
MS. ZAHN: We've got a little bit more.
Did you want to ask for approval now or at the end?
CHAIRMAN KANE: No, if you have more to say about the report then
we'll wait.
MS. ZAHN: Okay. We're going to transition now actually into the
NANPA report. So slide number 13 looks very similar to the PA slide on the
previous page but it is the aggregated survey respondent data for the NANPA.
We found the trend actually increased for respondents for the NANPA which
may or may not have been attributed to the online survey tool. Again we'll be doing
an analysis to see if we can figure out what might have contributed to the uptake in
17

respondents. We thought that was very positive and favorable. We got more
feedback from the NANPA than we did in 2009.
Slide number 14 as with the PA, lists the elements that go into determining
the overall rating for the 2010 year.
And if you turn to slide number 15, the NANPA rating for the 2010
performance year was determined by consensus to be More Than Met and that
description is at the bottom of slide number 15.
Slides 16, 17, 18, and 19 as with the PA contain aggregated data from the
2010 Performance Feedback Survey.
If you turn to slide 20, slides 20, 21, and 22 contain information on the
comments received in the Performance Feedback Survey. There was significant
praise for the NANPA. Commenters regularly responded that they are competent,
courteous, and customer focused as well as personable, professional, efficient, and
helpful.
Slide number 23, these are the bullets, there are four in total. The NOWG
recommends the following suggestions be implemented for continued improvement.
The first one is monitoring of change order 18 and issues related to the NDR
or Notation Discrepancy Report and the UMR, Utilization Missing Report.
The second bullet is to continue to review the NANPA website. Third is
implementing training videos posted to the NANPA website in lieu of live training
so people interested in training, its a la carte, you can go in when you want to and
download it and review it many times as you need so you can understand the
18

website. And the fourth bullet is, consider using live meetings for area code release
planning meetings.
As with the PA report, for this NANPA Performance Report, the NOWG
requests the NANC approval of the report and the NANC Chair to transmit to the
FCC. And this is the report which I'm referencing.
Slide number 24 has the two outstanding PA change orders. Amy made
reference to change order 19 which was the pANI change order which the FCC is
currently working. Change order 20 is proposed enhancements of the PAS proposed
by various regulator and service provider entities.
Slide 25 is a list of the NOWG participating companies. On the left hand
side you'll see Earth Link business. That used to be One Communications. We'll be
changing that name in the performance reports as well.
And slide 26 is the list of remaining meetings for the 2011 calendar year.
And that concludes my presentation.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you very much. So we actually have three
documents before us and, I'm going to clarify that for the record. 5A is your report
with the slides, and then we will number as 5B the draft of PA 2010 PA Performance
Evaluation Report, and as 5C, the draft 2010 NANPA Performance Evaluation
Report.
First of all are there any questions on either the report or the
recommendations? Anybody on the phone with a question?
MALE SPEAKER: Who was it that was presenting that report?
19

CHAIRMAN KANE: Oh, presenting that report, Gwen Zahn from Verizon
Wireless.
MALE SPEAKER: Thank you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. Now your recommendation is for the
action items from NANC. First of all, for approval of the 2010 PA Performance
Evaluation Report, and again that's document 5B, for submission to the FCC. I'll
entertain a motion to approve that report.
MS. MILLER:
Anna Miller, T-Mobile, make a motion to approve the PA
Performance Evaluation Report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. Second? Don't be shy.
(LAUGHTER)
MS. HOWARD: Cox seconds.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Cox seconds the report. All in favor say aye.
COUNCIL MEMBERS:
Aye.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Any objections, any abstentions? Very good. That
will be done, submit that to the FCC. I will do that.
And the 2010 NANPA Performance Evaluation Report. Move to approve
that?
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from CenturyLink will move to approve the
NANPA evaluation.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. I need a second.
MS. EMMER: Sprint Nextel will second.
20

CHAIRMAN KANE: Rosemary has second it. All those in favor say aye.
COUNCIL MEMBERS:
Aye.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Any objections, any abstentions? Very good. The
record will show unanimous also. Thank you very much for the report, get those
done.
All right, moving right along. Item six, the report of the North American
Numbering Plan Billing and Collection Agent and there you are. State your name
again for the record.

REPORT OF THE NORTH AMERICAN NUMBERING PLAN BILLING

AND COLLECTION AGENT (NANP B&C AGENT)

MS. MARCOTTE:
Faith Marcotte from Welch LLC.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you, Faith.
MS. MARCOTTE:
Good morning. So we'll first look at page one of the
report. It shows the financial position of the Fund at April 30th. There's $1.8
million in the bank, about $200,000 in accounts receivable, and about $250,000 in
accrued liabilities and that leaves the Fund balance at $1.663 million. The accrued
liabilities are listed there which is just really one month for the suppliers, the
vendors.
I've noted there the proposed contribution factor and budget was submitted to
the FCC, and they have now listed it for public approval or public notice. So the due
date for sending out the invoices is June 12th, so since they listed it so quickly we'll
have no problem meeting that deadline.
21

Page two of the report is forecast of the Fund balance. We forecasted up to
the end of June which is the funding year and we're projecting $1 million, $87,000.
What was projected originally was $500,000 with a contingency so we are $587,000
surplus.
In the bottom right hand corner is a box outlining the differences and the bulk
that $587,000 is the $700,000 of carry audits that are not going to be done, and then
there's a lot of other in the notes as you can.
Page three of the report is a forecast of the Fund out to June 2012, and its
projecting now $593,000, a surplus in a year from now which is a long way to
project but originally that should have been $750,000 of the contingency allowance
that was projected in the budget.
The difference between $750,000 and the $593,000 is made up of the bad
debts that are part of the contingency, and another $70,000 approximately is the
difference between when we projected the Fund back in February, to what we're
now projecting the Fund balance will be so we're left with now a projection of
$593,000 for the Fund in a year from now.
Page four is the forecast of the liabilities to be paid over the next six months.
And page five is our deliverables. The processes are going as normal, sent
out the invoices on April 12th. We are processing the payments as they come in.
Before we send out any refunds we check the red light report and hold on to those
until they're cleared by the FCC.
And our contract, there's an interim extra extension keeping it to July 31st.
22

And we're gradually cleaning up (unintelligible) the receivables. And that's it. Are
there any questions?
CHAIRMAN KANE: Any questions? Any questions from the phone?
On that bad debt, is that increasing with the state of the economy
(unintelligible) or has it been fairly steady?
MS. MARCOTTE:
It's fairly steady. A lot of that sometimes is just
companies that have gone out of business, and we can't find anymore.
CHAIRMAN KANE: We experience that at the state level also, disappear.
Okay very good. No action for us on this one. We'll note it for the record.
I will note in the public notice that you referenced on the contribution factor
which was issued on May 16th, that it indicates that the Commission takes no action
regarding the proposed fiscal year 2011 Fund size estimate and contribution factor
within the 14 day period following release of this public notice. The Fund size
estimate and contribution factor will be deemed approved and so that would be on
May 30th that it would be deemed approved.
Okay very good. It says next we'll do a break but we've only been going for
about a half hour so we're not going to need a break.
And this is Item 7, Rosemary's here already, the report of the Billing and
Collection Working Group. Rosemary Emmer.

REPORT OF THE BILLING AND COLLECTION WORKING GROUP

MS. EMMER: I chair this committee with Tim Decker of Verizon.
The B&C Working Group is responsible for overseeing the performance of
23

the functional requirements provided by the B&C Agent. We review the
performance monthly, and we oversee the budget.
We are currently monitoring the Billing and Collection and the deliverables,
and as Faith just went over, the budget and contribution factor for this year.
The only really new news that we have is that we had a Co-Chair election.
The positions were for two positions for a term of two years. Tim Decker and myself
were nominated and, we accepted. There were no other nominations. Therefore,
we're asking the NANC to approve that Tim and I would continue our roles for the
next two years.
The meeting schedule is listed on page nine. Our meetings are public. If
anyone would like to join feel free to email Tim or myself and we'd be happy to put
you on the -- I'll give you the bridge and put the meetings on your calendar. We
welcome new members. We're always having a membership drive. That concludes
the report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you very much. Any questions on this
report?
There is an action item which is for the NANC to approve the election of Tim
Decker and Rosemary Emmer to continue in their role as Co-Chairs of the Billing
and Collection Working Group for a period of two more years. Is there any
objection to that? Then I say by unanimous consent that that is approved by the
NANC.
Thank you very much. We appreciate your work. Thank you for all the time
24

you put in on these things.
MS. EMMER: Thank you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: All right, Item eight, the report of the North
American Portability Management LLC.

REPORT OF THE NORTH AMERICAN PORTABILITY MANAGEMENT

LLC (NAPM LLC)

MR. CLAY: Good morning, NANC. My name is Mel Clay. I am the Co-
Chair of the NAPM LLC. I share that duty with Tim Decker from Verizon
Communications.
Our report is just a one page report. It has two items on it. Item one, new
member recruitment. New member recruitment continues to be a high priority at the
NAPM LLC.
Recently several companies have approached us and inquired about
membership. We have sent the interested companies the membership packages and
we now await a reply from them. When we get the replies we will report who the
companies are.
In January of 2009, the LNPA Working Group submitted requirements for 22
change orders for NPAC enhancements for the NAPM LLC and requested that they
be considered for a SOW with the NPAC Administrator NeuStar. The release
package was presented to NeuStar and SOW 73 was approved in September of 2009.
Due to work prioritization, mainly the one day porting interval work that had
to be done, this SOW was scheduled for implementation this year in 2011.
25

The seven regions have now been implemented. They started
implementation for this SOW in March and it was completed a week ago on the 8th.
So that has now been completed. And that's all we have to report today.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, thank you. And the implementation went
smoothly?
MR. CLAY: Yes, it did.
CHAIRMAN KANE: No problems?
MR. CLAY: No problems whatsoever.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. Are there any questions for Mel?
Thank you very much for your report.
MR. CLAY: Thank you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And then our next item following right along is the
implementation of FCC order on the LNPA selection process.

IMPLEMENTATION OF FCC ORDER ON LNPA SELECTION PROCESS

CHAIRMAN KANE: As I indicated at the beginning, you all got an email I
believe last night. Some of the folks on the phone who are not on the Council had
not received it, but it is now on the FCC website.
The Bureau did yesterday do their order and basically, I don't know if you
had a chance to look at it, but as you know this was put out for comment by the
Commission, by the Bureau in March.
There were some comments that were submitted on the process and the order
discusses, the Bureau, the submission of those comments. Most of the comments
26

were accepted. They were minor changes to the process and so basically the process
was approved pretty much as had been submitted.
And I want to thank everyone who worked on this. It's been a long process.
We're going to be back on track and back on schedule now. I want to thank the
NAPM, thank everyone who did comments. Thank the Commission, particularly
thank the Bureau. We wanted to be very sure we got it out by today's meeting so
that we could have a look at it.
They said they adopted the NANC NAPM proposal for the LNPA selection
process with a few modifications. Most of these were clarifications on the final
authority of the FCC to make the decision, that the decision, the final selection was
not being delegated to the NANC or to the NAPM, that Commission approval will
occur through Commission action or through the Bureau acting on delegated
authority.
That the NANC has the authority to recommend to the FCC, the Bureau must
approve the request, the proposal, the request for information, the technical
requirements document, and that as far as the Selection Working Group that we will
be setting up, their work will be complete once the FCC has done the final approval
of the vendors, but the NANC may establish a working group to address contact
implementation if we choose to do that.
They are deferring to the NANC to establish the composition of the Selection
Working Group membership and Chairs and make clear that the Selection Working
Group is going to review and approve all procurement documents submitted by the
27

FoN PAC which includes the authority to modify draft procurement documents.
And finally on the issue of consensus which we've been through before, that
if the NANC does not achieve consensus approval, the Chair will inform the
Commission and they'll defer to the Chair to decide when and how it's notified and
the Commission, which means I'm going to knock your heads together until we get
consensus, until we have consensus of the Commission.
And finally that the Commission will determine the management structure for
the LNPA contract at a later date, clarifying that the Commission does not need now
to designate the NAPM as the entity to manage the new contracts when we get to
that point.
So we have that for your information. As I said, I'm delighted that it was out.
And I want to say where we ought to go from here so we can get back, get on track.
We know there's been a lot of work.
Are there any questions about the order itself? Okay, what I want to do to
move this forward is I'm going to ask, as you know, Jeff Why is our Co-Chair. Jeff
has the luxury of (unintelligible) being a Commissioner. In a Commission the only
focus is on telecommunication.
And I'm going to ask Jeff to take the lead in putting together the next steps
and getting the Selection Working Group together, getting them for a meeting,
getting it composed, and getting a timeline in place and setting up a schedule.
So what I'd like to do is first of all, to know that the Selection Working
Group should be balanced. It's open to anyone whether you're a member of the
28

NANC, or staff, or an alternate to a member, or a staff to a member. The only
condition is that members of the working group will have to sign the non-disclosure
agreement to be sure that all of the conflicts and potential in the non-disclosure
agreement -- let me leave it at that.
So I'm going to ask anyone who wants to be on the Selection Working
Group, and I know you have to go back and take a look and read this and probably
figure out with your general counsel whatever, about the non-disclosure issue, to let
me know, well actually to email Jeff by the end of next week.
This is voluntary so if you would like to be on the Selection Working Group
if you would send an email to Jeff, that would be by the 27th of May, it's about ten
days from now. Jeff, your email address?
MR. WHY: I will email everyone.
CHAIRMAN KANE: You'll email everybody, yes. We'll send an email
out.
MR. WHY: My email address is fairly long.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, Massachusetts is a state
that --
MR. WHY: Knowing my name is not helping (unintelligible).
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay. And then what I would propose when we
have that list together of the volunteers because the order does say the NANC is to
approve the Selection Working Group, and we don't have another meeting until
September, I propose that we do that by email.
29

We'll send it out by email and if anybody objects to anyone who is proposed
for the working group or if there's the right balance, you can email back. We will
take an email vote to establish the Selection Working Group.
Then we'll set a meeting. Jeff will see if we can have a meeting, the first
meeting of the working group, setting up a schedule and electing Chairs. There will
be three Chairs that will be elected by the working group and hopefully that can be
done by the middle of June.
And then also I want to ask the NAPM to prepare a non-disclosure
agreement. We don't have such a document that exists, and I'd like to ask the
NAPM if they would with their counsel prepare an appropriate non-disclosure
agreement for us to look at and then implement that, and I'll send that around again
for approval, for any questions about it.
So that hopefully will get the working group together. We'll get a timeline
together. We'll get the proper forms signed and the work can start by the middle of
June, and then there will be a timeline to get us there.
Now are there any questions about that? Rosemary, you had your card up
first.
MS. EMMER: Rosemary Emmer, Sprint Nextel. So I haven't had a chance
to read the order yet. I just looked at it while they were giving their presentation but
I haven't even read through it yet therefore no one else has probably really read
through it either since we just got it.
I'm a little hesitant to jump right in to so much SWG work so quickly when I
30

haven't even read it yet. I'm hesitating a little bit. Of course Sprint will want to
participate in whatever we decide to do.
I'm also concerned about the timeline that you just put together. I think the
procedure that you discussed is right on but I think the timeline is a little too soon
seeing as though we have travel -- the LLC members haven't had a chance to even
meet to talk about this yet because we haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
So you know, I would like to see the SWG process or the procedure timeline
pushed back a little bit because the SWG doesn't really have any work to do until the
LLC or the FoN PAC actually gives them something to talk about.
So I would like to ask, I mean we have travel coming up next week and then
many of us are on vacation for a couple of weeks after that, and I think we have a
meeting in June or we have a meeting next week with the LLC, and then a
conference call after that, and then another meeting in July I think in Denver.
So it might be more appropriate for the SWG work to really begin or that
process to begin maybe even after the July meeting. We don't have any time built
into the next meeting next week. We only have two days or a day and a half or
something so I would like to perhaps at least discuss it.
I'm just thinking off the top of my head now but procedurally to give us all
kind of time to decide what we're going to do with this, to at least give us and LLC
time to read it, comprehend it, and then think about what our next steps are going to
be so that we have something to give to the SWG so the SWG has some work to do.
Thank you.
31

CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. I'm trying to balance that and I
appreciate that. You're meeting next week you said?
MS. EMMER: We have a meeting next week and we have a meeting in July.
CHAIRMAN KANE: In July, okay. I'm trying to balance that concern
with the fact that we are behind the schedule that had originally been first set up by
the NAPM and conscious of that deadline we've got out there in 2015, and so trying
to balance that.
The important work initially, you're absolutely right, there's nothing for the
SWG to do substantively until they get dates from the LLC but the work would be
setting up who's going to be on the SWG which is voluntary, getting those non-
disclosure agreements signed, and setting a schedule. But I hear what you're saying,
and let me hear the rest of the discussion.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from Century Link. I second some of
Rosemary's concerns but I really kind of want to lay it out practically, is that the
NANC had asked the FoN PAC who was working on this diligently to step back
while we worked through out NANC process.
There hasn't been anything until we got this order here this morning to say
that the FoN PAC needed to get geared up again and so travel arrangements and
meeting arrangements haven't been done and I think that's what Rosemary was
referring to, and to ramp that back up.
And we I think at the NAPM LLC have talked about in other meetings that
putting it on hold will mean we have to have the time to ramp that back up and that
32

time is necessary to help get the SWG work, that Commissioner Why will be with
us, to get that back to them.
So I think that it's very important to think about tactically the steps in
sequence in order to get ready for handing off things to the SWG.
But I do agree with you and I think it's worthwhile to get some structure
around the SWG itself. It's just that I know many of us will want to make sure we
have the right person nominated and sometimes that takes leadership approval within
a corporation because of travel et cetera so we're going to need to make sure that
happens.
CHAIRMAN KANE: What would you suggest would be a longer
timeframe, an adequate timeframe for just getting the volunteers, getting the
nominations back to us and then obviously we would send it out to everybody? Do
you need 30 days within your companies for people to decide?
MS. RETKA: Thirty days, that might work. I need to think about that a little
bit. Can we over maybe a break talk about that, make a couple of calls?
CHAIRMAN KANE: Sure, okay. I mean obviously in terms of the SWG
actually meeting and doing anything substantive other than approving the timeline
which can be done by phone, you need something from the FoN PAC to have a
substantive meeting.
FEMALE SPEAKER:(Unintelligible) my question regarding the NDA, were
they certain when that will be released because commitment cannot be made until
that's reviewed by inside counsel and who will be the drafting party?
33

CHAIRMAN KANE: I'm going to ask the NAPM to do that, to do a draft
because unless there is someone else who wants to volunteer, I think they have the
expertise on that, having been through that where there isn't a standard FCC one that
we could pull off the shelf and use but I could ask them to draft it and then we'd
have to review it and approve it. So you're (unintelligible) for the corporate side
then, you should see the NDA before somebody is nominated and approved by their
company to do that.
FEMALE SPEAKER: Absolutely.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay. And I have not talked to the NAPM about
drafting the NDA. Is there somebody here who can speak for them on that?
FEMALE SPEAKER: There's a lot of them behind you.
(LAUGHTER)
CHARIMAN KANE: This is something that we did discuss at some length
as we were putting together the joint proposal that did go to the FCC.
MALE SPEAKER: The non-disclosure agreement that will be put together
by our attorney. Todd Daubert will be the author of the non-disclosure agreement.
We've already talked to Todd to have him start to do that. When we met with --
CHAIRMAN KANE: Back in January.
MALE SPEAKER: John (Unintelligible) a month ago we had talked about
that so this will be ready pretty quickly for your review.
I'm not a member of the NANC so I can't actually do it but I would suggest
that giving the names for the SWG from the companies should take place sometime
34

probably in middle June. That gives us time to have our meeting next week, go back
to our companies and have the companies review who they would want to be on
here.
So I would think that middle June -- we have a conference call meeting in
June so by the time we get ready to have that conference call meeting, and I'm afraid
I don't know the date off the top of --
FEMALE SPEAKER: June 22nd.
CHAIRMAN KANE: June 22nd.
MALE SPEAKER: June 22nd, so we would be ready to have the names
from the companies that, you know, like AT&T would be ready to have that before
that June 22nd meeting, so sometime around June 15th or so.
CHAIRMAN KANE: June 17th is 30 days from now.
MALE SPEAKER: Okay, that would work.
CHAIRMAN KANE: But remember they could be state members, other
members on this, as well as the broad range, obviously not just the NAPM members
although they would be an important part of it.
And in terms of the non-disclosure, do you have some sense of when we
could have that to circulate? I know you don't want to put your attorney --
MALE SPEAKER: No, I don't want to put Todd on the spot, but I think
we could probably have that for you by the end of our meeting next week.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, so by the end of next week you could get that
to Jeff.
35

MALE SPEAKER: Yes.
CHAIRMAN KANE: We will see that it gets out to everybody and review
it. This is just a draft non-disclosure agreement, which obviously people need to
know what terms and the conditions there are going to be before anybody is
considering serving if we get that done, because that's going to be an important
consideration. Rosemary.
MS. EMMER: This is Rosemary Emmer with Sprint Nextel. So the non-
disclosure agreement will be out next Saturday or the decision as to when the non-
disclosure is going to be --
MALE SPEAKER: Todd Daubert will draft a non-disclosure agreement
for consideration. Todd has said that he could have that done by the end of our
meeting next week.
MS. EMMER: Okay, but he'll have that done but then we have to look at it
once he has it done and we have to take it back to our internal counsel before we
send it to the NANC, right, so we're not going to be able to -- I know for sure I can't
get my internal counsel to look at something within one day. That's going to be a
little hard.
I mean none of these decisions, I just want to point out too for the SWG, are
going to make any difference to the end of 2015. What's going to make a difference
there is what the FoN PAC is going to do, right, so I mean at this juncture, this early
stage, this isn't about delaying anything, this is just about trying to work out the
logistics and make this thing right.
36

And I actually kind of feel like we probably ought to put out heads together
between now and the next meeting or in the next couple of months or something and
write all these things down, get it all typed up because now there's the other question
with the NDA.
Let's just say we get the NDA out for the NANC in the next two weeks and is
it a draft or how does that procedure -- it would be nice to be able to iron out all of
these and look at it and make sure that we're doing these steps the right way like
Suzanne just mentioned, you know, we couldn't move to the decision as to who is
going to be on the committee until we get the NDA type of thing (unintelligible). I
just feel like we might be rushing things a little bit.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And the NDA will be a NANC document at the end.
I just ask that -- because we had talked about it for the NAPM to draft it and the
(unintelligible).
Okay, well, let's do this. Go ahead, Mary, sorry.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from Century Link. I do think we can begin to
put structure around this but again I also raise the question, the NDA that Todd is
developing is a NDA amongst the NANC members, a NANC NDA? Is the FCC
going to be a part of that NDA, because I think there are some things in the order that
indicate there needs to be NDA language around this.
And my concern is that let's say we go back with our attorneys and we have
some issues, are we to talk to Todd if the attorneys need to talk to another attorney
about that? Do they talk to the Chairman? I'm not clear on some of that structure so
37

maybe you could fill in the blanks.
And I apologize, Anna. I think I jumped ahead of you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. Anna.
MS. MILLER:
Anna Miller at T-Mobile. I think as this conversation goes
on I'm becoming more confused and I guess I was asking, I wanted clarification
because you said we'll work on next steps and the timeline, and I became confused
in listening to this what timeline we're talking about.
So is it the timeline to set up the LNPA Selection Working Group, is that the
timeline that we're talking about? And it sounds like based upon this conversation
that one of the first things we need to do is identify what the process is, what the
steps -- maybe that's next steps. What's the process, what are the steps to setting up
the Selection Working Group and developing the NDA?
Again if the NAPM LLC drafts it and if it has to have approval, then to
submit that draft, who would it be submitted to for approval? Would it be a member
of the Selection Working Group or the FCC?
So I think we really need to identify what the process is going to be for
setting this up and I guess maybe that's what the next steps are, is the process, and
then again to clarify what we're talking about is trying to develop the timeline
around that process to get this sub-working group going, or is that inclusive then of
once again I guess taking the FoN PAC off hold and having them begin -- so that
means begin their work again.
I think we need to understand that process before they even gear up and then
38

try to fit that process into their timeline if you will.
So are we talking about the timeline or -- it sounds like we need the process
and the next steps for the Selection Working Group, and then what we're trying to
discuss here is the timeline for setting that up?
CHAIRMAN KANE: I had proposed a timeline for setting up the working
group but I'm hearing actually that the timeline I suggested was too aggressive, that
there are other things due.
Then when the working group is put together one of their tasks will be first of
all electing Chairs and then setting up a timeline for the whole rest of the project. So
there are different things that need to be approved by the working group that then
need to go in some cases to the FCC for approval.
There was a timeline that the NAPM had been set up originally, which is now
not the timeline so there are steps in the process, get stuff from the FoN PAC, get it
to the Selection Working Group, get it to the FCC if it's something that needs to go
to the FCC, et cetera. That's what I'm talking about a timeline with that end date of
2015, they'll begin those things that need to be done but the initial would be setting
up the working group.
We've been meeting for about an hour. Let's take a break. We'll come back
and see where we are with at least going ahead with getting the working group and
getting the message to FoN PAC that (unintelligible) FoN PAC to start working
again. We'll recess for about ten minutes.
CHAIRMAN KANE: It's 11:00 a.m. We were on item nine on the
39

implementation of the FCC order. Let me say, I know you all have had a chance to
talk about it. I'm going to take all of your input and advice under advisement and
Jeff and I will send out in the next week a proposed schedule for setting up the steps
that need to be done to set up the Selection Working Group and I'll send that out by
email. And I hear what everyone is saying.
In the meantime the FoN PAC can get started again, ramp back up, and the
NAPM will be working on the non-disclosure agreement and the conflict of interest.
If you look at the actual order in our proposal there are two documents actually, a
non-disclosure agreement and a conflict of interest kind of statement or checklist.
So let's move on then if there are no further questions on that to the report of
the Local Number Portability Administration Working Group which is Item 10 on
your agenda. And this document will be put in the record as Document 10.

REPORT OF THE LOCAL NUMBER PORTABILITY (LNPA) WORKING

GROUP

MR. SACRA: Thank you, Chairman Kane. Good morning, everyone. My
name is Gary Sacra. I'm with Verizon. I'm one of the Chairs of the LNPA Working
Group. Our other two chairs, Paula Jordan with T-Mobile and Linda Peterman with
Earth Link, are also both in attendance.
So the three items I'll be reporting on today, the first one is the FCC 09-41
order and FCC 10-85 order implementation. Just a brief status of that.
The second item is the NPAC Release 3.4 status, and the third and last is the
LNPA Working Group's Best Practice on porting projects which I reported out on at
40

the March 9th meeting.
First item, FCC 09-41 implementation, the working group is continuing to
monitor the implementation, gathering feedback from service providers in attendance
at the working group meetings and on the conference calls.
I'm still happy to report that the one day porting process is working as
designed. There has been no, well, from a process standpoint, no breakdown at all in
the process.
As I reported at the March 9th meeting, we're continuing to develop and
validate a list of NPAC service provider IDs and how the profiles are set for each
service provider on whether or not they're supporting the new medium timers that
are required for one day porting.
We have identified a number of providers and it's still a moving target
because some providers are still coming on board with setting their profile in the
NPAC in support of those timers.
So as I said it's still somewhat of a moving target but with (unintelligible) we
are aware of some providers that we believe should be supporting the new timers for
one day porting but are not yet supporting them.
So that is what we're doing, in the process of doing in the working group is
putting together a list of those providers that we believe should be in compliance and
supporting the new timers but are not yet doing so and we will report out once we
validate that list.
I believe the next step is to perhaps discuss with Chairman Kane and perhaps
41

some of the folks at the FCC on how best to address that list because it is proprietary
data, there's NPAC data involved. That it is proprietary data so we just need to
make sure that it's kept confidential and yet also the issue is addressed as well so
that's something we'll be talking about in the future, very near term.
And again the working group will continue to monitor the one day porting
process and the implementation as we move forward.
Any questions on that item?
Okay, NPAC Release 3.4, as Mr. Clay accurately reported, it has been loaded
in all of the seven NPAC regional databases. It was loaded successfully. No issues
identified during the loading so it was tested and loaded successfully.
Release 3.4 as we reported out on previously, contains a number of
operational and performance enhancements to the NPAC and the interfaces.
Questions?
The last item in the report, if you recall back at the March 9th meeting, we
presented a Best Practice that was approved in the working group on what has been
dubbed porting projects.
Just real briefly to recap, since the inception of Local Number Portability
back in 1997, most of the service providers at least that I'm aware of have a
maximum number of telephone numbers for which they can support the standard one
day FOC, Firm Order Confirmation, and a three day porting interval above those
thresholds, in some cases they're called projects, and the FOC return date and the
porting interval is typically negotiated between the two providers involved because
42

there's just so many telephone numbers.
In order to insure that the customer's service is maintained and the porting
process is transparent to the customer, sufficient time needs to take place in order to
do all the necessary translation work and systems work in order to affect the port.
Well, there's never been a standard threshold for what is a non-simple port
versus what becomes a project so what we've done in the working group over time is
we developed a recommended Best Practice that sets the minimum threshold for
what can be considered by the old service provider in a port to be a project.
So above that threshold the old provider can consider that a project and work
with the new provider to within certain perimeters provide the FOC and set the due
date for the port.
So in the process one of the other items that the working group is taking on at
this point is we're going through all of the Best Practices that have been developed
over the years and we're updating them in some cases, making them more current
with activity in both the porting world and the regulatory environment, and in some
cases we're deleting outdated and obsolete Best Practices.
And in that process what we've done is we've taken a couple of the older
Best Practices and incorporated them into the new Best Practice that I presented at
the March meeting for porting projects.
So we haven't changed any of the recommended thresholds that I presented
and received endorsement from the NANC at the March meeting.
What we have done with that Best Practice 67 is just incorporate the new
43

simple port intervals into that Best Practice so all the intervals for simple, non-
simple, and projects are now contained in the one approved Best Practice from the
working group and that Best Practice 67 is actually appended to the report as
Appendix A.
As you can see, it starts off in the related issue section with some descriptive
text on the simple port, the non-simple port, and the project port, and the main
portion or the main text in the Best Practice is the table on page four.
As you can see for a simple port, quantity of (unintelligible) the numbers on
the port request is one. The FOC return consistent with FCC 09-41 and 10-85 is a
four hour FOC return for a simple port when the requested due date is one or two
days.
For a simple port and what we call a simple extended due date, still one TN
on the local service request, but if it's three days or above the request by the new
service provider, then the FOC is due within 24 hours and the total port interval is
four days.
Now the third and fourth column in that table is what I presented to you at the
March 9th meeting and nothing in that has changed. For a non-simple port, what the
approved Best Practice and what we received endorsement from the NANC at the
March 9th meeting was for 1 to 50 telephone numbers, the FOC is due back within
24 hours, and the port interval is three days for a total of four business days.
In a project, the old provider can consider a port request to be a project for 51
and above telephone numbers on the port request. As you can see, there are some
44

notes that apply to these specifically for the project note five, that sets the perimeters
for the negotiation between the old and the new service provider, and again this is
recapping what we went through at the March 9th meeting.
If you move to note five, and again this is the perimeters set around a
negotiation, but the FOC is due back within 72 hours on a project if the old provider
considers this to be a project based on the number of telephone numbers, and the
project completion interval or the due date will no longer then 15 business days upon
receipt of the LSR from the new provider unless a longer interval is requested by the
new provider, or if it's negotiated by the old provider and agreed to by the new
provider.
So again this is just recapping what we went over at the March 9th meeting.
The working group requested that the NANC endorse the approved Best Practice.
We received that endorsement but then we were also directed the working group was
directed, to come back at this meeting with a recommendation for changes to the
NANC LNP provisioning flows that support this approved Best Practice.
So before I move to that, are there any questions on the Best Practice itself?
Again just in summary, it has been revised since March 9th only to add the
simple port requirements, both FOC and porting interval. The non-simple thresholds
and the project thresholds are exactly the same as what was presented at the March
9th meeting.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Are there any questions? Okay, go ahead.
MR. SACRA: Okay, and lastly now as we move to page six, Appendix B,
45

there were two figures in the LNP provisioning flows that the working group
believes require some revisions, some additions in support of Best Practice 67.
The first one is in figure one, step six and this is the customer service record
request. That's also part of Best Practice 67 that we discussed at the March 9th
meeting.
But there are also thresholds in addition to the FOC interval and the porting
interval. There are also thresholds for which a customer service record can be
returned upon request within 24 hours above which then the intervals require a little
longer time in order to get all the customer service record together because of the
number of telephone numbers and lines of data on that record.
So what the working group reached consensus on there is that for a quantity
of telephone numbers on the customer service record request between 1 and 50, the
customer service record is due back within 24 hours, between 51 and 200 telephone
numbers on the customer service record, the return time is 48 hours, and above 200
telephone numbers on the customer service record, the return time is 72 hours.
Again, this is the very same part of the Best Practice that was reviewed and endorsed
at the March 9th meeting.
So what we have done simply is to extract that table from the Best Practice
with the applicable notes and incorporate that into the figure one, step six that
discusses the return and requirements for requesting a customer service record. And
you'll see that text is in red so anything in red there on that page is the addition based
on the approved Best Practice 67. Questions before we move on? Suzanne.
46

SUZANNE HOWARD:
Cox Communications, Inc. FCC on complex
for tracing of complex port but it only pinpoints certain items in a complex port as
far as you, and I had an email dialogue about something the other day regarding the
information service that was being deemed by a carrier as complex port.
So this LNPA is not getting in the minutia of that right, it's only the intervals
and the numbers, the number of ports being requested.
MR. SACRA: That's absolutely correct. This is actually I guess what I
would say is the working group's input to the formal request petition for clarification
on I guess non-simple ports versus projects.
Just briefly, historically in the development of the requirements for 09-41 and
one day porting, there was an attempt made to touch on the very thing that you
addressed Suzanne, and that is, what does multiple service is on the line mean, what
are complex services on the line, exactly what does that mean.
That was one area where there was no apparent consensus at all. The
providers were kind of all over the map as to what they felt they could support in
terms of the one day port when there were some complex services on the line versus
other providers that felt that they could, so we chose to I guess leave it as is I guess if
you will.
So we didn't touch on things such as -- or specifically, like I know there are
some issues with voice mail on the line and things of that nature with some providers
considering them to be complex services but at this time we haven't touched on that.
FEMALE SPEAKER: Okay. This is a huge issue for a lot of us carriers so I
47

know you know.
MR. SACRA: I agree. I'm fully aware.
FEMALE SPEAKER: I'm preaching to the choir here but it's work that
needs to be ironed out so the porting can -- and the customer cannot impact it.
Thanks.
MR. SACRA: You're quite welcome. Okay, if there are no questions on
figure one, just moving to page seven, the other figure in the NANC provisioning
flows with figure five, step 13, and this is the return of the firm order, the
confirmation to the new network service provider, and again this is in the non-simple
flow.
So there are already requirements addressed in the simple flow so the only
thing required in the working group's view based on Best Practice 67 was the
addition in the non-simple flow of the portion of the table that dealt with the quantity
of PNs 1 to 50, and than greater than 50.
So you can see we extracted that portion of the table, inserted it into figure
five, step 13. And on page eight the applicable notes, the main one of which is note
four here that sets the perimeters around the negotiation between the 15 business
days when the due date shall be no longer than for a port that's deemed a project by
the old provider.
And again, the purpose of setting this threshold or proposing setting these
standard thresholds for projects again providers are all over the map in the industry.
Some providers have a threshold as few as two telephone numbers where they
48

consider it to be a project and therefore not applicable to the standard non-simple
four business day due date.
So this is an attempt to at least set a minimum threshold for when providers
can deem a port request to be a project and sort of standardize and level the playing
field if you will for when a non-simple port can be considered a project. This by no
means is meant, and we have words to that effect in the Best Practice, it's by no
means should be considered an encouragement on the part of providers that have
higher thresholds to lower their threshold.
Obviously that would cost time and money for them to do that in their
systems and we feel that providers that have more liberal thresholds for non-simple
ports should maintain those thresholds for the benefit of the industry, but this is an
attempt and it was a consensus driven process in reaching a proposed standard
threshold for when a non-simple port can be consider a project.
So the working group would like to again respectfully request that the NANC
I guess re-endorse Best Practice 67, also endorse the proposed changes to the NANC
LNP provisioning flows, and then if that endorsement is reached or gained, then
forward this to the FCC Wireline Competition Bureau Chief hopefully and take
advantage of what I believe is a streamlined process for "tweaking the porting
process" in the industry. Questions?
CHAIRMAN KANE: Are we prepared to take action on the
recommendation? Okay, and again the recommendation then before us is that we
again endorse the approved Best Practice 67 and the recommendation of the LNPA
49

Working Group of the supporting changes to the NANC LNP provisioning flows and
forward it to the FCC Wireline Competition Bureau with a request that it be adopted.
Is there any objection to that request? Consider it then unanimous approval of your
request. Thank you very much.
MR. SACRA: Thank you very much. That concludes my report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you very much. Item 11 on our agenda is the
status of the Industry Numbering Committee, the INC activities. This document,
their report ATIS, will be entered in the record as Document 11.
You don't have it? It's in color, blue. We do not have a copy of it? I know
it was emailed out because I have a copy in my notebook. Who doesn't have one?
Everybody, okay. So let's get those out to everyone then. Does everybody have one
now? Okay, thank you.

STATUS OF THE INDUSTRY NUMBERING COMMITTEE (INC)

ACTIVITIES

MS. CRANDALL: My name is Dana Crandall. I'm with Verizon
Wireless. I'm the INC Vice Chair along with Natalie McNamer from T-Mobile who
is the INC Chair and unfortunately couldn't be with us today because she is not
feeling well so you're stuck with me to do the report today. So forgive me if I'm a
little bit rusty at this.
If you turn to slide two, this is just a read-out of our recent activity. We have
actually had two virtual subcommittee meetings and one to face-to-face meeting
since the last NANC report. We're going to meet again in June in Overland Park,
50

Kansas, and that will be a face-to-face meeting and anyone who would like to attend
can find our calendar information on the ATIS website and we've provided the link
here.
If you go slide to three, I want to report on issue 709 from the NARP
subcommittee. We touched on this at the last NANC meeting. Back in December
the FCC had provided some clarification to the PA regarding certain issues and
assumptions associated with the pending change order for the pANI administration.
As Amy touched on during her report, INC met with ESIF earlier this month
and discussed some of those clarifying points to better understand what needs to be
changed in the guidelines and INC is working to make the guidelines conform to
what the FCC clarified in its letter.
The next slide is number four and this is from the RAM subcommittee. This
is from a NANC action item from the December NANC meeting. Chris Hepburn
from the Pennsylvania PUC Commission staff had asked the NANC to address a
multi OCN issue and we got an action item to work on that with him.
We touched on this at the last meeting so some of this will be a little bit
repetitive but to address those concerns and to assist some of the state commission
staffers in trying to understand the OCN relationship, there's multiple OCNs within a
particular state, INC is going to add the parent company OCN to the part three form
for the CO code guidelines and Pooling guidelines.
And then that will allow the NANPA and the PA to add the parent company
OCN and the parent company OCN name to several different reports, the Part 1, Part
51

1A, and Part 3 reports that the administrators provide to the states when the states
request them.
Those actions because they are form changes will result in NANPA and PA
change orders so NOWG and FCC can look forward to getting those shortly.
The second part of that is that we added some text to the CO Code Guidelines
and Pooling Guidelines to give states some guidance.
If they're aware that a particular applicant no longer has their jurisdictional
certification or license in that particular area, revoked, then the state commissioner or
the FCC can send some written direction to the NANPA or the PA along with some
supporting documentation to ask the administrator to deny that applicant's
application.
And then the converse of that, provide the direction to the NANPA and the
PA to deny those applications when they get that information from the state or the
FCC.
Next slide is slide number five. This is in response to some concerns raised
at the last March meeting that Chairman Kane had brought to our attention during
the INC presentation.
One of those concerns was the state commission staff wants companies with
both ILEC and CLEC affiliates that have resources in the same rate center and have
multiple OCNs in the same rate centers, to share blocks and codes across those
multiple OCNs rather then applying for resources on an OCN basis.
So INC took a look at this and recognized that there are some regulatory,
52

legal, and technical barriers that prevent some companies from sharing resources,
those companies that have the ILEC and CLEC affiliates in the same rate center.
Some of those reasons are that the ILECs have non-discrimination
requirements. There's significant work involved to modify provisioning systems and
other operational support systems to accommodate the sharing of those resources.
Also there's separate networks that exist and need to be maintained because
there's different regulations associated with ILECs and CLECs. And then there are
also various reporting implications when combining those resources within multiple
networks.
We also wanted to point out that the FCC rules require that those providers
apply for resources on a per OCN basis and INC's work under the previous issue that
we just discussed, 710, may alleviate some of the concerns as well.
Then on slide six, was a second concern that was raised at the last meeting
and this was about the seven calendar day application processing timeframe that
NANPA and the PA follow.
Some state commission staff believe that that timeframe is too short to give
them time to actually review the applications so staff had suggested that INC either
extend that seven day timeframe or perhaps consider state furloughs days or state
holidays in that timeframe.
We had reached out to Rebecca Beaton at the Washington Commission staff
and got some more clarification on this and she was good enough to provide us some
written information to work from, and did a really good job of providing some
53

suggestions for INC to work from so INC leadership will bring an issue to the next
meeting to formally work through those suggestions.
And then we have what I call the usual slides at the end. We have issue 534,
it's the only issue that's in initial pending right now that's awaiting the approval of
change order 19, the pANI change order.
The next slide is slide eight. We have five issues that are in initial closure
right now. I'm not going to go through them in detail here but if anybody is
interested in knowing more about them certainly feel free to ask me some questions.
And then the next slide is the one issue that has gone to final closure since the
last NANC meeting and that's issue 706.
And then the last slide is a listing of all the web pages from the INC website
and where to find information. And that's it.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you very much, Dana. Just a clarification on
your slide seven, Issue 534 you said was awaiting approval. That's at the FCC,
that's not before us awaiting approval?
MS. CRANDALL: Correct.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay. Questions? Yes, Joel.
MR. CHESKIS: Thank you. Good morning. Joel Cheskis for NASUCA.
On Slide five, this first concern where you indicated there's regulatory, legal, and
technical barriers, what happened with that at this point? Is that something where we
just tell the states no or are those barriers that could be overcome?
MS. CRANDALL: That's a good question and I'm not sure how to answer
54

that.
MR. CHESKIS: I'm sorry, then maybe it's not for you to answer. Maybe
it's for the Chairman or someone else to answer.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Obviously the answer to that would depend on the
nature of the barrier. For example, if there's an FCC regulation that requires that
service providers apply for resources on an OCN basis, a solution is to change the
regulation if the regulation is the barrier, or the others seem to be technical barriers.
So it would depend on what the barrier was I would say, as to what the
process was for making the change if the change was considered important enough to
make the change.
MR. CHESKIS: I guess what I'm suggesting is that maybe, you know, it
seems a good suggestion it seems like to me, from the states that came forward with
what seems to be a reasonable solution, and just because an initial determination has
been made that there are some barriers doesn't mean that necessarily maybe it
shouldn't be continued to be pursued.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Yes, and also note here, and you might want to say
more about this Dana, that work under issue 710 may alleviate some of the state
concerns because it is giving additional information. So as you continue to work
with the states, if you bring us back a report or some suggestions on to what extent
have the changes or will the changes in 710 alleviate these concerns.
MS. CRANDALL: Okay. I'll just point out, because those have change
orders associated with them the implementation is not going to be immediate so it
55

may be some time before we have a chance to assess that.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Right, at least where there are proposed changes that
are awaiting approval as change orders, a review of those states that were concerned
about this would likely take care of the problem or address a part of the problem.
Anything else, Joel?
MR. CHESKIS: No, thank you very much.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, thank you. We will not let this drop. Thank
you very much. Any other questions on that report? Thank you.
Number 12, the Future of Numbering Working Group.

REPORT OF THE FUTURE OF NUMBERING WORKING GROUP (FoN

WG)

MR. NEWMAN:
Adam Newman, Telcordia Technology. I am one of
the three Co-Chairs for the Future of Numbering Working Group along with Don
Gray from Nebraska and Jim Castagna from Verizon.
You should have in front of you two items for the Future of Numbering
Working Group. One is our presentation and another is a packet of letters that were
submitted in response to the White Paper.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And I will mark your report as Item 12 and the
packet of letters as Item 12A.
MR. NEWMAN:
And just as an FYI, in addition, any
email transmitting the report and the letters, I did provide a link to the previously
reviewed toll free White Paper that I'll be talking about today.
56

I do have some copies of that. I didn't make 50 copies of it since we had
previously reviewed it so anybody who wants a hard copy of that White Paper which
we'll talk about in general terms today, I have some copies available.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, and if you'll give me a copy and give
Deborah a copy we'll enter it as 12B and then it will be available electronically as
part of the record.
MR. NEWMAN:
I have copies for said purpose.
Okay, so slide two, the summary of activity since our last report. We've had
two Future of Numbering conference calls on April 6th and May 4th. During those
conference calls we reviewed our issue matrix and determined a path forward for
each issue. I will review that issue matrix itself towards the end of my presentation.
We reviewed a number of industry letters submitted on the toll free resources
allocation assignment and management White Paper that had been submitted to and
provided by Chairman Kane's staff to the leadership of the FoN, in particular there
was a letter from Custom Toll Free that was received on February 28th and a letter
from 800 Response received on March 7th.
In addition, on slide three, you'll see that we also reviewed a number of
letters on the White Paper that were addressed to Chairman Kane and we had
courtesy copies forwarded to us by a NANC member David Greenhaus who had
gotten copies but we didn't get those copies transmitted to us by the Chairman, and
they were ATL Communications, ZipDX.com. We have no transmittal data on the
letter itself, 1300 Australia and phones names with transmittal date.
57

We took it upon ourselves to not just review the two letters that were
formally transmitted to us but to review all of the letters that were transmitted.
It seems to us to be the right thing to do especially since the letters
themselves, if you'll remember we were seeking comment on this final draft White
Paper for further action, and none of the letters that are in the packet that's provided
suggested any changes to the White Paper itself. So there were literally no findings
on the White Paper itself, and that's actually the first bullet on slide four.
And because there were no suggested changes to the White Paper, we
recommend publishing the White Paper to the website as final, with any additional
corrections or updates that the NANC itself decides that we need to make. Clearly
we need to update the date of the letter from May 2010 to current when we finalize it
but that's really the only substantive change on the White Paper that in our view
needs to be made.
So from my perspective and from the FoN's perspective, we can either
finalize that based on we've received no additional input -- NANC members did
have a chance to get back to us, but if there are changes either around the table or
post, we can certainly take those into consideration before publishing the White
Paper as final. I don't know if you want to address that now or at the end of the
report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Why don't you finish your report and then we'll do
the action item.
MR. NEWMAN:
So that's the end of the FoN consensus on the White
58

Paper in terms of we suggest publishing it and then if there is no further direction
with regard to the issue that produced the White Paper which is FTN005, we see it as
likely that there will probably be consensus to close the issue with publication of the
White Paper at a subsequent FoN meeting.
I don't know which FoN meeting that is but at a subsequent -- and we just
wanted to alert the members that if we don't get further direction either at this
meeting on based on publication of the White Paper from the NANC, I think it will
close.
Slide five is our issues matrix. We do have four open issues, five numbers.
The new and future services issue, we have a current consensus to keep that issue
open for discussion and monitor ITU-T future numbering activities. ITU-T study
group to have a taskforce on the Future of Numbering which a couple of our
members, who also attend the study group to keep us up to date on it so that we can
sort of figure out what the rest of the world is thinking in these regards. We found it
useful.
FTN 002, Telematics and the use of NANP numbers, again we have
consensus to keep this issue open and monitor developments at INC and ITU with
regard to machine to machine communications. There is some remaining concern by
some FoN members of the impact on NANP exhaust of machine to machine
communications.
Issue 004, geographic issues impacting numbering policy decisions. There is
an open action item for the issue Champion to make sure that they want to continue
59

pursuing it.
We have monitored a European Commission paper and IT that have been
submitted to the ITU-T in this area so we're monitoring what's going on in other
jurisdictions with regard to the geographic issues of numbers and this issue
incorporates a quite old NANC action item to the FoN from a former member of the
NANC from the OUR of Jamaica where we incorporated into this issue, the impact
of the use of NANP numbers outside of NANP jurisdictional areas.
So that is included in this issue just as a reminder that we were asked to take
a look at that as part of this issue by the NANC, if you made me guess, three or four
years ago now. I would actually have to go look up when that was first submitted.
And then 005 is the one we already discussed with the White Paper. That's
the Commons versus Marketplace model for toll free numbers.
Our future activities are to determine the next issue to engage based on
working group consensus and contributions since we're contribution driven and/or
NANC assignment.
If the NANC feels like there's one of these issues or some other issues that
they really want us to focus on we would of course be glad to otherwise we will
work as the consensus of the group has us work.
And we generally meet the first Wednesday of every month. If anybody
would like call in information or to be added to the FoN mailing list please free to e-
mail myself or one of the other Co-Chairs. And that's the extent of our report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you very much. Are there questions about
60

the report? Okay, we have in the report or actually from the FoN, a request for
action which would be to publish the White Paper to the website with any correction
update from NANC members.
So let me ask first of all, are there any corrections or updates at this time from
any NANC members to the White Paper? Yes.
MR. GREENHAUS: (Off microphone, unintelligible) report that was
submitted I believe in terms of the letters that were submitted.
MR. NEWMAN:
You're right, sorry.
MR. GREENHAUS: There's an additional letter that's in part of the packet
dated February 1, 2011, from Jonathan (Unintelligible) CEO of (Unintelligible), so
just to note that that is sent as an additional letter that wasn't in the report itself but
it's in the package.
MR. NEWMAN:
Sorry about that.
MR. GREENHAUS: And then I just also would like to recognize the
enormous amount of time and effort that the Future of Numbering group members
put in to producing the White Paper and would like to suggest that NANC approve
the White Paper and transmit it through the NANC Chair to the FCC.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Okay, I'll take that as a motion to approve it to the
FCC and also ask that it be up on the website. Is that included in your motion? Is
there a second? Anyone second that motion?
MALE SPEAKER: Second.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Thank you. You had a question.
61

FEMALE SPEAKER: No, I think you answered it. I was just wondering
whether it was going to be on the website or sent to the FCC and it sounds like
you're going to do both.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Put on the NANC website and send it to the FCC.
And I know Don Gray, who no longer attends our meetings as the alternate
from Nebraska because Commissioner Ann Boyle has moved on to another FCC
taskforce or group council, but I want to thank him for his work too. And he's still
involved in the Future of Numbering, right
MR. NEWMAN:
Which we are very grateful for, yes.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And grateful to the Nebraska Public Utility
Commission for continuing to support him doing that work.
MR. NEWMAN:
You know, as David raised his card I realized that I
actually skipped over fairly (unintelligible) interesting -- a little bit on slide four and
I'm sorry about that.
While the letters did not identify any changes to the White Paper itself, the
letters did identify potential changes to current policy and rules for consideration.
So for example, adopting the marketplace model for the toll free resources,
the White Paper itself laid out potential solutions. The White Paper as we've
discussed in the past clearly does not take any stance in that regard and the FoN was
not going to come to consensus with it.
I did want to note that those letters did again apply some potential changes to
current policy so that the Council realized what was in the letters themselves, so
62

although they did not impact the White Paper itself in any way, I thought it would be
remiss not to actually mention that bullet that's in the report.
CHAIRMAN KANE: And those suggested changes or suggestions that
there might need to be changes, will the FoN be looking at those suggestions and
bring them to NANC or will there be another process on that?
MR. NEWMAN:
I'll let Mary to speak to that.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from CenturyLink. I think it's important to note
that those are advocacy positions that somewhat relate to the TSYS item that was
ruled on, on February 24th and I'm not certain that that would be appropriate for the
FoN to take on nor would it be appropriate to send those on with a White Paper since
there was nothing in the letters to change the White Paper. I think those were sent to
the Chairperson for the review of the White Paper but they really didn't change
anything on it.
CHAIRMAN KANE: They didn't change the White Paper. Yes, we had
asked that the White Paper be widely circulated so that there could be input but the
motion that's before us is to send the White Paper to the FCC and to publish the
White Paper on our website. David? As I said the letters are in the record of the
NANC meeting.
MR. GREENHAUS: Okay, so they're accessible to FCC if someone would
like to read them.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Yes. Certainly, they are public documents and they
also will be in the record of this meeting because they've been given an item
63

number. They will be available.
Okay, so we have the motion before us to publish the White Paper to the
website, the NANC website, and to submit it to the FCC for their information. Is
there any objection to that recommendation? Then I will consider it unanimously
approved. Thank you very much.
MR. NEWMAN:
Thank you.
CHAIRMAN KANE: That brings us to the end of our items. Thank you
very much. Summary of action items, let me go back over that, if I've taken my
notes right.

SUMMARY OF ACTION ITEMS

Action items, we have two action items in the report of the Numbering
Oversight Working Group. We had an action item from the report of Billing and
Collection Working Group, an action item from the report of the Local Number
Portability Administration, and an action item which we just approved from the
Future of Numbering Working Group. And all those action items were approved.
All the recommendation requests from the various groups have been approved.
Public comments and participation, do we have anyone? I'm sorry, yes.
MS. RETKA: Mary Retka from CenturyLink. I apologize, but we also
have the action item for the email that you're going to send on the Selection Working
Group, the NPA, et cetera.
CHAIRMAN KANE: Yes, that is what we are going to do, we are going to
send out the proposed schedule for getting the working group up and working and
64

established.
So there was no public comment. Any other business before us?
Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 15th, and there's a
lot of work that's going to go on between now and then, in the next three months.
Most of the work of the NANC gets done in all those working groups that meet
regularly and individually in between, and we all appreciate all of that work and
committee work that goes on. And I know there will be a lot of work being done on
the selection process too between now and the September meeting. Thank you all.
There being no further business we are adjourned at 11:47 a.m. Thank you.
(Meeting Adjourned)
CERTIFICATE OF AGENCY
I, Carol J. Schwartz, President of Carol J. Thomas Stenotype Reporting
Services, Inc., do hereby certify we were authorized to transcribe the submitted audio
CD, and that thereafter these proceedings were transcribed under our supervision,
and I further certify that the forgoing transcription contains a full, true and correct
transcription of the audio CD furnished, to the best of our ability.

_____________________________
CAROL J. SCHWARTZ
PRESIDENT
ON THIS DATE OF:
_____________________________
65

Note: We are currently transitioning our documents into web compatible formats for easier reading. We have done our best to supply this content to you in a presentable form, but there may be some formatting issues while we improve the technology. The original version of the document is available as a PDF, Word Document, or as plain text.

close
FCC

You are leaving the FCC website

You are about to leave the FCC website and visit a third-party, non-governmental website that the FCC does not maintain or control. The FCC does not endorse any product or service, and is not responsible for, nor can it guarantee the validity or timeliness of the content on the page you are about to visit. Additionally, the privacy policies of this third-party page may differ from those of the FCC.