Workshop: State and Local Governments: Toolkits and Best Practices
- Starting from zero, where should a city or state begin when formulating broadband policy?
- Are there certain policy elements that should be included in any comprehensive local broadband policy?
- How to identify and address community-specific broadband needs
- What are the hardest issues? What aspects were easier than expected?
- How much of the local approach is policy vs. legislation vs. execution?
- Balancing divergent interests among community stakeholders
- What types of alternative broadband network structures/mechanisms have been proven to work and in what context?
- How can programs be measured over-time?
- Given the speed with which technology changes, how can policies be structured to ensure that they evolve in response to changes in community needs?
- What can the FCC do to foster cooperation and sharing of information or best practices among state and local governments?
- Panelist Presentations
- Commissioner Ray Baum, Oregon Public Utilities Commission
- John Conley, Deputy State Chief Information Officer, State of Colorado
- Charles Ghini, Director, Department of Management Services, Division of Telecommunications, State of Florida
- Karen Jackson, Deputy Secretary of Technology, Commonwealth of Virginia
- Dr. Craig Orgeron, Director, Strategic Services Division, Department of Information Technology Services, State of Mississippi
- Jane Patterson, Executive Director, e-NC Authority, State of North Carolina
2:35 pm Panelist Discussion and Responses to Questions
- Introduction, Moderator
- Hardik Bhatt, Chief Information Officer, City of Chicago, and Commissioner, Chicago Department of Innovation and Technology
- Commissioner Paul Cosgrave, Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications, City of New York
- Joey Durel, City-Parish President, Lafayette, LA
- Gary Gordier, Chief Information Officer and IT Director, El Paso, TX
- Lori Sherwood, Cable Administrator, Howard County, MD
- Chris Vein, Chief Information Officer, City of San Francisco
- State and Local Government Toolkits and Best Practices
- Commissioner Ray Baum, Oregon Public Utility Commission, Chair of the NARUC, Committee on Telecommunications, State Chair of the Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service, Former Chair of the NARUC Task Force on Intercarrier Compensation Reform
- Broadband – Virginia Style
- Karen Jackson, Deputy Secretary of Technology
- State and Local Governments: Toolkits and Best Practices
- Craig P. Orgeron, Ph.D., Director, Strategic Services, MS Dept of Information Technology Services
- State and Local Governments: Toolkits and Best Practices Workshop
- Jane Smith Patterson, E-NC Authority
- Chicago’s Broadband Strategy: Towards Affordable, Universal Technology Access
- Hardik V. Bhatt, Chief Information Officer, City of Chicago
- Federal Communications Commission State and Local Government Workshop
- Lori Sherwood, Cable Administrator, Howard County, Maryland
- Workshop Transcript