- Initiates and directs the development and articulation of international telecommunications policies, consistent with the priorities of the Commission.
- Advises the Chairman and Commissioners on matters of international telecommunications policy, and on the status of the Commission's actions to promote the vital interests of the American public in the international commerce, national defense and foreign policy areas.
- Develops, recommends and administers policies, rules and procedures for the authorization and regulation of international telecommunications facilities and services and domestic and international satellite systems.
- Monitors compliance with the terms and conditions of authorizations and licenses granted by the Bureau, pursues enforcement actions in conjunction with appropriate bureaus and offices.
- Represents the Commission on international telecommunications matters at both domestic and international conferences and meetings, and directs and coordinate the Commission's preparation for such conferences and meetings.
- Serves as the single focal point within the Commission for cooperation and consultation on international telecommunications matters with other federal agencies, international or foreign organizations, and appropriate regulatory bodies and officials of foreign government. Develops, coordinates with other federal agencies, and administers regulatory assistance and training programs for foreign administrations to promote telecommunications development.
- Provides advice and technical assistance to U.S. trade official in the negotiation and implementation of telecommunications trade agreements.
- Conducts economic, legal, technical, statistical and other appropriate studies, surveys and analyses in support of development of international telecommunications policies and programs. Collects and disseminates within the Commission information and data on international telecommunications, regulatory and market developments in other countries and international organizations.
- Works with the Office of Legislative Affairs to coordinate the Commission's activities on significant matters of international policy with appropriate congressional offices.
- Promotes the international coordination of spectrum allocation and frequency and orbital assignments so as to minimize cases of international radio interference involving U.S. licensees.
- Directs and coordinates, in consultation with appropriate bureaus and offices, negotiation of international agreements to provide for arrangements and procedures for bilateral coordination of radio frequency assignments to prevent or resolve international radio interferences involving U.S. licensees.
- Ensures fulfillment of the Commission's responsibilities under international agreements and treaty obligations, and, consistent with Commission policy, ensure that the Commission's regulations, procedures, and frequency allocations comply with mandatory requirements of all applicable international and bilateral agreements.
- Oversees and, as appropriate, administers activities pertaining to the international consultation, coordination and notification of U.S. frequency and orbital assignments, including activities required by bilateral agreements, the international Radio Regulations, and other international agreements.
- Advises the Chairman on priorities for international travel and develop, coordinate, and administer the international travel plan. Develops, recommends and administers policies, rules and regulations implementing the Commission's oversight responsibilities regarding Comsat's participation in INTELSAT and Inmarsat.