The FCC has rules to protect you when your service provider plans to discontinue, reduce or impair telephone or voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for any reason, including when the company declares bankruptcy.  These rules are designed to protect you from an abrupt change or termination of service and to allow time for you to arrange service with another provider.

U.S. providers planning to discontinue, reduce or impair domestic service are required to:

  • Notify affected customers in writing about any such plans and inform you of your right to file comments with the FCC.
  • Request permission from the FCC to discontinue, reduce or impair service after notifying customers.
  • Continue providing service for a minimum number of days – 31 days for smaller providers and 60 days for larger providers – after the FCC releases a public notice announcing and seeking comment on the service provider’s proposal. The FCC can extend the termination date. 

International telephone service providers must give customers 60 days’ notice.

Customer empowerment: what you can do

If you object to a provider’s plan to discontinue, reduce or impair service, you can let the FCC know by responding to our public notice, which will include a deadline and procedures for filing comments.  We will consider objections and other comments when evaluating the service provider’s request. 

The FCC usually authorizes a service provider’s request unless customers are unable to receive similar services or a reasonable substitute from another provider.

Transferring service to another provider

If a telephone service provider sells or transfer its customer base to another company, FCC rules say:

  • The acquiring company must provide customers 30 days’ advance notice of the transfer, including information about its rates and services.
  • Customers may accept the acquiring company or choose another company.

If your account has been transferred to an acquiring company without adequate notice, you may be covered by the FCC’s slamming rules.  Learn more at

Wireless service

If a wireless provider discontinues, reduces or impairs your service without cause or notice, leaving you without alternative telephone service, you can file a complaint with the FCC.

Print Out

When Your Telephone Company Discontinues Service Guide (pdf)


File a Complaint with the FCC


Visit our Consumer Complaint Center at to file a complaint or tell us your story.

Request Accessible Format

To request this article in an accessible format - braille, large print, Word or text document or audio - email, or write the address or call the phone number at the bottom of this page.

Consumer Help Center

Learn about consumer issues - visit the FCC's Consumer Help Center at


Date Last Updated/Reviewed: 
Tuesday, January 17, 2017