The FCC Economic Seminars program, managed by OSP, is intended to advance recent economic analyses in the fields of industrial organization, regulation, and applied microeconomics. The Commission recognizes the importance of expanding its engagement with the research community because staff members often must address difficult issues requiring substantive expertise. Invited speakers primarily are economists but they also include other professionals with expertise on communications issues of interest to FCC economists and engineers.
- June 24 - Tilman Wolf, Univ. of Mass.
Future Internet Architecture
- May 5 - Stuart Cunningham, Univ. of Queensland
- April 23 - Shoko Kiyohara, Georgetown Univ.
Internet Campaigning in Taiwan and Japan
- Feb 3 - Robert Pepper, Cisco
Mobile Usage Forecast
- Nov 4 - Gustavo Torrens, Indiana Univ.
Optimal Regulation of Media Industry
- Oct 21 - Andrea Prat, Columbia Univ.
- Sept 30 - Frank Barnes, UC-Boulder
Health Effects of Weak Magnetic Fields
- Sept 23 - Olga Ukhaneva, Georgetown Univ.
Universal Service in a Wireless World
- Aug 19 - Aleks Yankelevich, FCC
Competitive Effects of Production Joint Ventures
- July 23 - Bob Weller, FCC
FCC's Intelligence Role in WWII
- June 17 - David Mills, UVA
Buyer-Induced Exclusive Dealing
- June 3 - John Mayo, Georgetown Univ.
Unfettered Spectrum Auctions
- May 22 - David McAdams, Duke Univ.
Empirical Auctions of Many Objects
- Mar 20 - Chris Hogendorn, Wesleyan Univ.
Net Neutrality and Price Discrimination
- Mar 6 - Paul Zimmerman, FTC, and Anthony Bush, FCC
Internet Pricing, Preference Externalities, and Economic Growth
- Feb 5 - Bob Pepper & Doug Webster, Cisco
Forecast of Mobile Usage Demand
- Jan 30 - Doug Sicker, BITAG
Real-Time Management of Internet Congestion
- Jan 23 - Michael Mandel, PPI
Data, Trade, and Growth
- Jan 15 - Norman Fekrat, Lemko
Consumerization of Mobility
- Nov 21 - Brett Frischmann, Cardozo School of Law
Demand for an Open Internet Infrastructure
- Oct 23 - Lee Rainie, Pew Research
- Sept 30 - Geoffrey Myers, OFCOM
4G Auction in the UK
- Sept 4 - Constantine Dovrolis, Georgia Insti. of Tech.
Open Peering by Internet Transit Providers
- July 9 - Tim Brennan, UMBC
Applying Market Definition to Market Dominance: Uses and Abuses
- June 11 - Debra Aron, Navigant Economics
Effects of Price Regulation on Broadband Adoption
- May 30 - Dave Taht, Techlibre
Why the Last Mile Is So Slow
- May 21 - Hal Singer and Kevin Caves, Navigant Economics
Regional Sports Networks
- May 14 - Maria Petrova, Princeton
Do Political Blogs Matter?
- May 7 - Zhu Wang, Richmond Fed
Ad-Valorem Platform Fees and Efficient Price Discrimination
- Mar 28 - Przemek Jeziorski, UC Berkeley
Impact of Radio Market Concentration on Incumbent Success in Local Elections
- Mar 8 - Lisa George, Hunter College
Online Consumption of Local News
- Feb 28 - Wayne Leighton, Navigant Economics
Economic Engine of Political Change
- Nov 6 - Arogyaswami Paulraj, Stanford
Scaling Wireless Capacity
- Oct 23 - Roger Entner, Recon Analytics
Impact of Wireless Industry on U.S. Economy
- Sept 26 - Harish Viswanathan, Bell Labs
- Sept 24 - Rob Albon, ACCC Australia
Australian Broadband Policy
- Sept 20 - Bronwyn Howell, New Zealand ISCR
International Comparison of Broadband Policies
- July 25 - Sateesh Addepalli, Cisco
New Pervasive IT Architecture for Internet of Things and Human Networks
- July 11 - Robert Pepper, Cisco
- June 29 - Sam Crawford & Alex Salter, SamKnows
Broadband Performance Measurement Systems: Technical Perspective
- May 24 - Andrew Newton, ARIN
Operating a Routing Public Key Infrastructure under American Law
- May 14 - J. Liebenau, S. Elaluf-Calderwood, and P. Karrberg
London School of Economics
Effect of Internet Traffic Imbalances on European Telecom Operators
- May 2 - Barbara Stark, AT&T
Implications of Large Scale Network Address Translation
- Apr 19 - Parag Pruthi, NIKSUN
Cyber Security Defense: Challenges & State of the Art
- Apr 2 & 3 - Scott Marcus, WIK, Germany
International View of Regulatory Best Practices
- Mar 29 - Dale Hatfield, Univ. of Colorado, Denver
Role of the Broadband Internet Technical Advisory Group
- Mar 22 - Matthew Osborne, BEA
Cellular Service Bill Shock
- Mar 19 - Tavi Carare, FCC
Entry and Competition in Differentiated Product Markets
- Mar 15 - Randy Bush, Internet Initiative Japan
Securing Internet Routing: RPKI and BGP Origin Validation
- Mar 8 - Ron Bonica, Juniper Networks
Migration to IPv6
- Feb 6 - Sumit Roy, Univ. of Washington
Spectrum Sensing in White Space Networking
- Feb 2 - David Crocker, Brandenburg InternetWorking
Fighting Internet Abuse with Trust: Enhancing the Paradigm
- Nov 30 - Fernando Beltran, Univ. of Auckland and
Mark Bykowsky and Bill Sharkey, FCC
Managing Spectrum: Private Property vs. Common Pool Resource
- Oct 27 - Ivan Png, National Univ. of Singapore
Opt-Out Theory: Evidence from the Do Not Call Registry
- Oct 20 - Alejandro Zentner, Carnegie Mellon
Entry and Competition: Evidence from the Brazilian Movie Exhibition Industry
- Oct 12 - Steven Tepper, Vanderbilt
Protest over Art and Culture in America
- Oct 6 - Steven Wildman, Michigan State
News Media Coverage of City Governments in 2009
- Sept 16 - Alan Gregerman, Venture Groups
Innovation for Accessible Communications
- Aug 2 - Benjamin Hickey, Juniper Networks, and Greg Bathrick, PMC Sierra
Gigabit-Capable Passive Optical Networks
- July 28 - Jonathan Zittrain, Harvard
Cloud Computing: Minds for Sale
- July 25 - Simon Wilkie, USC
Impact of Local Market Structure on Range of Media Viewpoints
- June 23 - Jessica Chou, Yuan Ze Univ.
Telecom, Internet, & Broadcast Regulation in Taiwan
- June 15 - Will Irving, Telstra
Australia's National Broadband Network
- June 2 - Suraj Shetty and Robert Pepper, Cisco
Cisco’s Visual Networking Index: A Forecast of IP Traffic
- May 31 - Mark Townsley, Cisco
IPv6 in Broadband Networks
- May 12 - Andrew Woessner, Telogical
U.S. Broadband Pricing Trends
- Apr 13 - Minha Park, KCC
Communications Policies in Korea And Net Neutrality
- Mar 24 - Atsushi Ozu, RITE (Research Insti. of Telecom. and Econ.)
Nationwide Broadband in Japan
- Mar 2 - Filip Perich, SSC
Rule-Based Spectrum Access Control Management
- Feb 22 - Henry Sinnreich, Adobe Systems, and Alan Johnston, Washington Univ.
Session Initiation Protocol
- Jan 25 - Ian Olgeirson, SNL Kagan
Cable Competition and the Over-the-Top-Threat
- Jan 18 - Andrew Malis, David Sinicrope, and Robin Mersh, Broadband Forum
Multiprotocol Label Switching
- Dec 13 - Paul Rappoport, Temple Univ.
The Future of Television
- Dec 6 - Joel Waldfogel, Univ. of Minnesota
Pop Internationalism: Has a Half Century of World Music Trade Displaced Local Culture?
- Dec 2 - Dan Reed, Microsoft
Cloud Services and Natural User Interfaces
- Sept 16 - David Bell, AOL Advisor
Advertising Industry Trends
- July 21 - J. P. Singh, Georgetown Univ.
International Cultural Policies: Creating National and Global Norms in a Complex World
- June 29 - Glen Weyl, Harvard Univ.
Pass-Through and Merger Analysis
- June 18 - Tania Voon, Melbourne Law School
China's Telecom Service Market and the WTO
- Apr 13 - Kenneth Wilbur, Duke Univ.
The Effects of Advertising and Product Placement on Television Audiences
- Apr 9 - Oren Bar-Gill, NYU Law School
- Feb 25 - David Waterman, Indiana Univ.
Horizontal and Vertical Integration in Cable Industry: Implications for Proposed Open Internet Rules
- Dec 17 - Jon Peha, FCC, Chief Technologist
Peer-to-Peer Networks and Copyrighted Content: Technical and Policy Implications
- Nov 19 - Phil Weiser, DOJ, Deputy Assistant Attorney General
Reflections on Telecom Competition
- Nov 17 - Joe Farrell, FTC, Director, Bureau of Economics
Welfare Analytics of Aftermarkets: A Consumer Protection Approach to Net Neutrality
- Oct 20 - Jay Hamilton, Duke Univ.
How Can Public Policies Sustain the Accountability Reporting by Media?
- Oct 1 - Howard Shelanski, FTC, Deputy Director, Bureau of Economics
Antitrust and Regulation after Trinko, Credit Suisse, and LinkLine
- Sept 24 - Irene Wu, FCC
From Iron Fist to Invisible Hand: The Uneven Path of Telecom Reform in China, Chapter 1
- Sept 11 - Tim Wu, Columbia Univ.
Challenges Facing This FCC
- Federal Trade Commission -- Bureau of Economics