Disaster Information Reporting System Roundtable
Roundtable Discussion: Introducing the Disaster Information Reporting System (DIRS) to the Next Generation of Communications
The Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau hosted a roundtable discussion to enable interested parties to identify ways to bring the DIRS into the next generation of communications. The format of the roundtable was a facilitated discussion led by Commission staff. During the roundtable, staff solicited input from attendees on issues such as:
- The value of information currently provided by DIRS to communications restoration efforts during disasters;
- Ways to increase voluntary participation in DIRS;
- Extending DIRS to obtain more detailed data about the effects of a disaster on broadband communications services;
- Adding information from over the top voice and video service providers; and
- What, if any, additional information from DIRS participants might be beneficial to the restoration process.