Technology Transitions Policy Task Force Workshop
On December 10, 2012, Chairman Julius Genachowski announced the formation of an agencywide Technology Transitions Policy Task Force to "provide recommendations to modernize the Commission's policies." The Chairman instructed the Task Force to provide recommendations to "empower and protect consumers, promote competition, and ensure network resiliency and reliability." As part of the data-driven and transparent review that the Chairman has required, the Task Force announces today the first in a series of workshops. The first workshop will gather data and analysis to establish a factual baseline understanding of these transitions.
The first workshop was held on Monday, March 18, 2013, in the Commission Meeting Room (TW-C305), 445 12th Street, S.W., Washington, D.C., 20554. This workshop solicited data and analysis on three critical ongoing transitions: the evolution in network protocols, including from TDM to IP; the replacement of copper networks with fiber; and the shift from wireline services toward greater use of wireless services. The workshop analyzed the American landscape in a granular way by gathering data on disparities between rural and urban areas and business and residential services. The workshop also focused on the experiences of different demographic groups, including different generations, as well as challenges faced by people with disabilities. Panelists also described underlying network technologies and identified the advantages and limitations that various technologies present in different contexts. Finally, the workshop sought input on the factors driving the market's transition to new technologies.
For further information, contact Rebekah Goodheart at 202-418-1438, or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Genachowski Remarks at Technology Transitions Policy Task Force
- Technology Transitions Policy Task Force Workshop Opening Statement
- Public Notice - 5/24/2013
- Public Notice - 3/14/2013
- Public Notice - 3/11/2013
- Public Notice - 2/12/2013
- Technology Transitions Policy Task Force
- Sean Lev Blog: "The Network Technology Transitions: Enormous Opportunities, Some Key Challenges"
- Zachary Katz Blog: "Policymaking in a Time of Technology Transitions"
- Task Force Members Biographies
- Powerpoint Slides