Flagship Initiative: Measuring Broadband America
Working collaboratively with industry, academia, public interest organizations and others, the FCC’s Measuring Broadband America program develops open and transparent platforms for measuring broadband performance and releasing Open Data solutions driven by the contributions of volunteers from across the country. The FCC Speed Test App for Android and iPhone extends the MBA’s four-year history measuring consumers’ fixed broadband performance to measure the mobile broadband performance of volunteers throughout the US using crowd-sourced smartphone applications. The app test volunteers upload and download speed, latency and packet loss, as well as the wireless performance characteristics of the broadband connection and the kind of handsets and versions of operating systems tested.
The program is deeply committed to protecting volunteers’ privacy and employs privacy measures developed collaboratively with Federal Trade Commission officials, academic privacy experts and others to analyze and process mobile data that could potentially identify specific smartphones.
Since 2011, the FCC has released three MBA reports on fixed broadband performance together with the datasets, technical documentation of the open technologies and architecture, sampling approaches, testing methodologies, data schemas, and database, statistical and other data processing scripts and software. The open and transparent platform used to measure mobile performance and source code for the FCC Speed Test and data is also made freely available to the public. The open data collected by MBA fixed and mobile efforts are used with ongoing open data efforts visualizing data for the public in maps and other solutions. Making FCC data and technologies available further strengthens the traditional ways the FCC serves the public and facilitates our goal of realizing an even more Open Government at the FCC.
Open Government Progress at the FCC
The following resources and webpages highlight the FCC's commitment to a system of transparency, public participation and collaboration.
- FCC Open Data: Enabling public innovation by publishing data with a focus on improving quality, openness, accessibility and utility
- FCC Developers Page: Promoting the innovative application of FCC data, connecting developers with the tools they need to unlock government data
- FCC Digital Strategy: Providing data assets for increased consumption and usability with a commitment to openness and transparency
- FCC Data and Information Officers: Roster of FCC staff members dedicated to providing data and information
- Chairman's Statement on Process Reform (From Jan. 30, 2014 Open Meeting)
- FCC Blog Post: Ensuring an Open Internet Now and for the Future (Jan. 14, 2014)
- FCC Blog Posts on Open Government
- FCC Comment Policy: Fostering participation to more effectively and efficiently fulfill the mission
- Plain Writing at the FCC: Supporting the FCC's commitment to clear, concise and effective communication
- Send the FCC Your Comments: How to file public comment on open proceedings at the FCC
- FCC Reports: Search or browse the FCC's publicly available reports
- How to Contact the FCC: Contact information includes staff phone directory, key postal and email addresses, bureau and office contacts and organizational charts
- FCC Items on Circulation: Commission-level items that have been circulated and are pending action by the full Commission (updated weekly)
- FCC Freedom of Information Act Page: Browse Chief FOIA Officer reports, annual FOIA reports, quarterly FOIA reports, report data files and comparisons to other federal agencies
- FCC Consumer Publications Library: Guidance for consumers seeking information on communications issues
- FCC Contracting: Information for contractors interested in supplying goods or services to the FCC
- FCC Strategic Plan: Links to the FCC's Strategic Plan for 2012 - 2016, as well as its current and historical budgets, financial reports, and performance reports
- FCC FY 2014 Budget: Read or download the FCC's current fiscal year budget
- Working Papers: Filter the FCC's working papers by Bureau and Office, or by topic
- Consumer Guide - Protecting Your Privacy: An outline of FCC regulatory policies for communications-related consumer privacy
- No FEAR Act: Includes information on anti-discrimination laws, whistleblower protections laws, and policies protecting employees from retaliation for engaging in protected activities
- FCC Tools Page: Publicly-accessible tools and applications help consumers and entities that do business with the FCC or need FCC-related information
- Website Notices: Information on making the FCC's electronic technologies accessible for people with disabilities; the Paperwork Reduction Act and FCC information collections; website inventory, priorities, schedules and maintenance policy
- Accessibility Clearinghouse: FCC information hub about innovative ways to communicate, especially for people who may have a disability; includes browsable resources, products and services
- FCC Consumer Feedback: A forum for ongoing discussions on FCC.gov user topic threads
- Open Government Initiative: To learn more, visit the official webpage at whitehouse.gov