1. Question: How do I file a Section 214 Application?

Answer: A section 214 application may be filed either on paper or electronically. To file electronically, file an application through the International Bureau’s Filing System (IBFS) located on the International Bureau’s website. For additional assistance on electronic filing, call the Help Line at 202-418-2222. To file on paper, go to https://www.fcc.gov/ib/ and, under Applications, click on "International Section 214 Filing Guidelines and Sample Section 214 Application." This document contains a sample application, directions to obtain the Fee Form 159, and how and where to file.
2. Question: After I fill out my application electronically, is it automatically filed?
Answer: No. You must return to your application home page, and click on "file a form." Once that is done, the FCC will automatically assign your application a submission ID number. Then you may proceed with your online fee processing.
3. Question: May I pay my fee online:
Answer: Yes. The current filing fee for a section 214 authorization can be found in the FCC’s International Fee Filing Guide. Applicants have 3 basic options for submitting payment to the FCC: (1) pay by check; (2) pay by credit card; (3) pay by wire transfer or electronic funds transfer. The IBFS website contains Payment Instructions that will provide assistance to properly making a payment.
4. Question: What is Form 159, and how do I fill it out?
Answer: Form 159 is a generic fee form which must be filed with every FCC application requiring a fee, but which has no specific fee form. Applicants may file the FCC Form 159 electronically or attach the FCC Form 159 fee form cover sheet, to their applications and submit them to the appropriate address at Mellon Bank in Pittsburgh, PA. (See the International Fee Filing Guide for the appropriate address.)
5. Question: How do I know whether my section 214 application has been granted?
Answer: You may check the status of your section 214 Application on the IBFS at www.fcc.gov/ibfs. Using the name of the applicant, find the file number assigned to it and the "Accepted for Filing" date. The application normally will be granted automatically 14 days following that date. The "Actions Taken" public notice listing the applicant will be released on the Thursday after the application is granted. This public notice will serve as the documentation that you have obtained Section 214 authorization; you will not receive a separate "license" document.
6. Question: Is there any way to expedite the grant of a section 214 application?
Answer: Most section 214 applications are granted on a streamlined basis and require 30 days or less to process. However, it is possible to expedite the process further by filing for Special Temporary Authority (STA) pursuant to 47 CFR § 63.04. NOTE: Requests for Special Temporary Authority are rarely granted. Applicants who want to apply for an STA must pay a separate filing fee which can be found in the FCC’s International Fee Filing Guide. The request for STA can be made at the same time the section 214 application is filed, or at anytime thereafter. Applicants must state clearly and concisely the reason for making a request for expedited action.
7. Question: If I am merely reselling the international services of another carrier, do I have to file a section 214 application?
Answer: Yes, including in the case of mobile international services. Refer to 47 CFR § 63.18(e)(2), global resale service.
8. Question: Am I required to file an international tariff after my application is granted?
Answer: No. International tariffs are no longer required for non-dominant international interexchange providers. See In the Matter of 2000 Biennial Regulatory Review; Policy and Rules Concerning the International, Interexchange Marketplace, IB Docket No. 00-202, Report and Order, 16 FCC Rcd 10,647 (2001).
9. Question: Can a wholly-owned subsidiary operate under its parent company’s section 214 authority?
Answer: Yes. Pursuant to 47 CFR § 63.21(i), however, the parent company must notify the Commission within 30 days after the subsidiary begins providing service.
10. Question: Do I need to notify the FCC when I begin to offer services?
Answer: The "Actions Taken" public notice contains an "Exclusion List" that applies to international section 214 authorization. The Exclusion List for international section 214 authorizations identifies restrictions on providing service to particular countries or using particular facilities. The list applies to all U. S. international carriers, including those that have previously received global or limited global section 214 authority, whether by streamlined grant or specific written order.
11. Question: How can I obtain a list of entities that currently have section 214 authorization?
Answer: The International Bureau’s IBFS website contains a search tool which enables you to query the system for information and various reports. No registration is required to use the IBFS search tools. To begin searching for data, click the Search Tools button located on the IBFS website.