July 2013 Open Commission Meeting
The FCC held an Open Meeting in Washington, DC on Friday, July 19, 2013 on the subjects listed below:
- Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in the Market for the Delivery of Video Programming (MB Docket No. 12-203).: The Commission will consider a Fifteenth Report on the status of competition in the market for the delivery of video programming.
- Presentation on LEAD Recommendations and Digital Learning: Margaret Spellings, former Secretary of Education, and Jim Steyer, Founder and CEO of Common Sense Media, will present on the bipartisan Leading Education by Advancing Digital (LEAD) Commission's Five Point Blueprint recommending a national initiative to expand digital learning in K-12 education. Dr. John Word, principal of Kenmore Middle School in Arlington, VA, will present on how students and teachers at Kenmore are using digital technologies and broadband connectivity to expand learning opportunities.
- Modernizing the E-rate Program for Schools and Libraries: The Commission will consider a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to modernize the Schools and Libraries Universal Service Support mechanism (the E-rate program) to support highspeed broadband for digital learning technologies and ensure all students, teachers, and library patrons have the tools they need to succeed in the 21st century.
- Speech-to-Speech and Internet Protocol (IP) Speech-to-Speech Telecommunications Relay Services (CG Docket No. 08-15); Telecommunications Relay Services and Speech-to-Speech Services for Individuals with Hearing and Speech Disabilities (CG Docket No. 03-123): The Commission will consider a Report and Order addressing mandatory minimum standards applicable to the Speech-to-Speech Relay program and a Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeking input on ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of this program.
- Update on the Implementation of the Twenty-First Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act (CVAA): In recognition of the 23rd anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau, together with the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau and the Media Bureau, will provide a report on the Commission's implementation of the CVAA since its passage in 2010
FCC Adopts 15th Video Competition Report
Open Meeting Presentation on LEAD Recommendations and Digital Learning
FCC Launches Update of E-Rate for Broadband in Schools and Libraries
FCC Commemorates 23rd Anniversary of Americans with Disabilities Act
FCC Raises Relay Service Standards for People with Speech Disabilities