The FCC's Accessibility and Innovation Initiative hosted a public event, "Accessing Social Media," on Thursday, July 17, 2014, from 9 am to 4 pm at the FCC Headquarters (445 12th Street, SW, Washington, DC). The purpose of the event was to facilitate a collaborative, cross-sector exchange of information about making social media tools and content accessible to people with disabilities, including information about authoring tools, client apps, and best practices.
The event was held in the FCC's Commission Meeting Room and included panels of industry, consumer, and government representatives. We also had technology demonstrations in an exhibit area on the same floor.
Speakers from the following organizations have confirmed their attendance:
- ABILITY Magazine
- Adobe Systems
- Ai Squared
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- Autistic Self Advocacy Network
- Brick Advantage
- Danya International
- Hearing Loss Association of America
- Lead On Update
- National Association of the Deaf
- National Council on Disability
- National Federation of the Blind
- U.S. Department of Labor
- U.S. General Services Administration
- University of Colorado, Boulder
- US Business Leadership Network
We welcome comments, questions, or suggestions to improve the Accessibility Toolkit via email: AccSocMedia@fcc.gov and via #AccSocMedia hashtag on Twitter. You can also make suggestions for the Accessibility Toolkit via Hackpad.