The employee (or her/his supervisor) should submit the request for “reasonable accommodation” of a disability to the Office of Workplace Diversity (OWD).
For request submitted by the employee’s supervisor, please contact OWD for special instructions.
The request must include a certification from a medical practitioner that states and the following:
- The diagnosis of a disability.
- The impact of the disability on the employee’s ability to perform his/her job, as described in the position description of record (which was reviewed by the medical practitioner).
- The nature of the disability (temporary/permanent).
- The prognosis for recovery, if the disability is temporary.
- The aspect of the job needing accommodation.
The request should be made on EEOC Form 557, “Request for Barrier Removal or Reasonable Accommodation.”
Requests should also include a completed Disability Questionaire.
Copies are available from the Office of Workplace Diversity (OWD).
OWD will determine the employee’s eligibility for an accommodation pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. If the employee is eligible, OWD will work with the employee, employee’s supervisor and the attending physician to identify the most reasonable accommodation. The accommodation approved by OWD will be forwarded to the appropriate office for action (e.g., to ITC, for purchase/installation of computer equipment; to HRM for a personnel action; etc.) with a copy to the ABCM. The ABCM will insure that the approved/recommended accommodations are completed expeditiously, as required by law.
If you have any questions concerning this process, or if you would like assistance in developing accommodation options, please contact: