Orders, Public Notices, Notices, Press Releases and Factsheet
- On November 8, 2002, the Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit struck down the Commission’s video description rules. Motion Picture Association of America, Inc. vs. the Federal Communications Commission: Case #01-1149 .
- The Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau Reminds the Public that the Implementation of Video Description for Video Programming will Become Effective April 1, 2002.
Video Description Implementation PN in Text  |
Video Description Implementation PN in PDF  |
Video Description Implementation PN in Word 
- FCC Issues a Clarification Order In the Matter of CBS Corporation Requesting Clarification of the Order of Reconsideration re: "Counting Electronic Newsroom Captioned Programming Toward Compliance of the Captioning Requirements."
Clarification Order  in Microsoft Word Format Adopted 02/27/01 and Released 03/02/01.
- Report & Order on Implementation of Video Description of Video Programming Rules Adopted July 21, 2000 and Released August 7, 2000.
Video Description R&O in Microsoft Word Format 
- FCC issues Erratum to clarify how parties may count reruns to satisfy their fifty-hour quarterly compliance requirements in the MO&O on Reconsideration in the matter of Implementation of Video Description of Video Programming.
Erratum in Microsoft Word Format  Released and Adopted February 21, 2001.
- Memorandum Opinion and Order on Reconsideration in the Matter of Video Description of Video Programming Adopted by the Commission on January 4, 2001 and Released on January 18, 2001.
FCC Upholds Video Description Rules to Assist Visually disabled Consumers. News Release in Microsoft Word Format .
MO&O on Reconsideration in Microsoft Word Format 
- Implementation of Video Description of Video Programming.
Public Notice in text format  || Public Notice in Microsoft Word format .
- PETITIONS FOR RECONSIDERATION  Received 10/11/2000.
- Comments on Petitions for Reconsideration .
- Public Interest Obligations of Television Broadcast Licensees NPRM adopted 9/14/2000 and released 10/5/2000.
Paragraphs #20 and #32 specifically seek comment on disability-related issues.
28 Page Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in PDF Format .
28 Page Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in Microsoft Word Format .
28 Page Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) in Text Format .
- FCC Adopts Rules for Large Broadcast Stations and Program Distributors To Provide Video Description for Persons with Visual Disabilities; Also Adopts Rules to Enhance Accessibility of Emergency Information.
News Release on Video Description  released July 21, 2000.
- Implementation of Video Description of Video Programming NPRM COMMENTS  February 23, 2000.
- Order granting a one-month extension of the filing deadlines in the Video Description of Video Programming proceeding. Released January 10, 2000.
Order - Text format 
Order - Word97 format 
- FCC adopts and releases Notice of Proposed Rulemaking on Implementation of Video Description of Video Programming, November 18, 1999. MM Docket No. 99-339.
- Press release: HTML  | Word  | ASCII text 
- NPRM (23 pages): HTML  | Word  | ASCII text  | Acrobat 
- NOI on Video Description released June 6, 1997. The NOI on Annual Assessment of the Status of Competition in Markets for the Delivery of Video Programming ( Download NOI ) addresses video programming accessibility via audio description (Download Accessibility Paragraphs 21, 22, and 23 ).
- 1997 Cable Competition Report to Congress addresses video description. Read video description  sections here.
- Closed Captioning & Video Description, Video Programming Accessibility Report Released July 29, 1996.
|| Text Version | Wordperfect Version ||
- Closed Captioning and Video Description Notice of Inquiry Released December 4, 1995.
|| Text Version | Wordperfect Version  ||