This page provides information about the Children’s Television Programming Report (FCC Form 398). The form identifies the programming that a commercial television station has aired to serve the educational and informational needs of children. Commercial TV stations are required to file this form on a quarterly basis. To the left are links that allow searches for particular stations or programming and detailed instructions on how to file Form 398 electronically.
July 2, 2012:
TECHNICAL SUPPORT FOR FILING CHILDREN’S TELEVISION PROGRAMMING REPORTS (FCC FORM 398).
The required quarterly filing of the Children’s Television Programming Reports (FCC Form 398) by commercial television station licensees may be filed electronically via the Children’s Educational Television Reporting – Form 398 information page commencing today, July 2. The form must be filed by July 10th, 2012.
To support stations’ timely and accurate filing, the Commission has included KidVid Support within the Children’s Educational Television Reporting – Form 398 information page to provide troubleshooting guidance and FAQs.
If stations require further assistance, support is available via Internet and phone.
Via the Internet, contact FCC eSupport at http://esupport.fcc.gov/request.htm. Filers must select “Children’s Television Reporting System (CDBS – KidVid)” from the “FCC System” dropdown menu.
Via phone, contact FCC eSupport Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. ET (except Federal holidays), at 1-877-480-3201 (TTY: 1-717-338-2824) and select Option 2.
The Children’s Television Programming Reports identify the programming that a commercial television station has aired to serve the educational and informational needs of children.
June 11, 2012:
In the previous filing window, some filers reported experiencing connectivity problems while trying to file form 398. This issue is currently being addressed. In order to minimize any issues encountered please follow the below guidelines:
- ALL Users: We strongly recommend that you use either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome as your browser of choice when completing form 398. This is primarily to avoid cross scripting errors that some filers have run into using IE 8 & 9. If you must use Internet Explorer, please follow these steps to correct the problem.
- If You Encounter Problems:
- The optimal scenario will be to access form 398, fill out the form, validate and submit all within the same session, but NOT to save during this process.
- If #1 is not possible, or if you are running into connectivity problems during a peak traffic time, then save frequently. When saving the HTML on your local computer use a different name each time. Should your file become corrupt prior to submission, you will now have multiple versions to revert to in order to try and identify a prior working version that you will be able to submit without having to start from scratch.
April 9, 2012:
During this filing window, some filers reported to us a connectivity problem and some have filed their form successfully. The FCC is aware of the problem and working to resolve it, please be patient.
The FCC has extended the deadline to April 27, 2012. However, continue to try and file your reports during this extended time frame.
If you are getting cross scripting errors and you have Internet Explorer 8, please follow these steps to correct the problem.
September 24, 2010:
To enhance the security and integrity of the KidVid database, we now require authentication with an FRN and password associated with the broadcast facility for each Form 398 filing. After you have completed Form 398, you will be prompted to enter this information. You must enter your FRN and password to complete the form. If you have forgotten your FRN password, please contact the CORES helpdesk at 877-480-3201.
February 23, 2010:
To improve performance, the FCC has moved the KidVid system to a new server. Please update your bookmarks/favorites. You must use the Change Server Tool to update a saved 398 Form with the new server name at http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/kidvid/tools/KidVid_Server_Change.htm. You will also be automatically redirected to that page in two situations:
- When you have used a link that contains the old server name when you try to start a new Form 398, the page tells you to use the updated link on the KidVid main page.
- When you try to perform an operation on a saved Form 398 (such as “Update Local Data”) that goes to the old server, please follow the instructions in the Change Server Tool section of the page.
For more information pertaining to the Children’s Television Programming Report (Form 398), please call: (202) 418-1600.