Who must file?
- Facilities-based providers of fixed and/or mobile broadband internet access who have one or more end-user connections in service on the “as of date” (June 30 or December 31).
- Facilities-based providers of mobile voice service who have one or more end-user connections in service on the “as of date” (June 30 or December 31).
- All providers of fixed voice service, including local telephone service providers or providers of interconnected voice over internet protocol (VoIP) service (see https://us-fcc.app.box.com/v/WhoMustFileForm477 for descriptions and definitions of these provider types).
- In most cases, if you were required to file FCC Form 477 you must submit data in the BDC. See details below
Who may also file?
- Federal agencies, as well as state, local, and Tribal governmental entities primarily responsible for mapping or tracking broadband internet access service coverage in their areas, may submit verified broadband availability data. Additional guidance for governmental entities seeking to file verified broadband availability data in the BDC can be found in this Public Notice released on April 14, 2022.
- Third parties wishing to submit verified broadband availability data.
- These parties can also submit data as part of the BDC challenge and crowdsource processes. Additional information about these processes is available at: https://help.bdc.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/categories/8772052687003-Challenge-Processes.
See BDC Availability Data Specifications Section 2.2 for more info.
When do I need to file?
- Data as of June 30th is due no later than the following September 1st, and data as of December 31st is due no later than the following March 1st. This is the same schedule that was used for Form 477 filings.
What do I need to file?
- Each filing must include information about the filer and, depending on the type of filer you are, broadband availability data (including supporting data), broadband subscription data, voice availability data, and/or voice subscription data.
- Availability Data:
- Fixed wireline and satellite broadband service providers must submit either polygon coverage areas or a list of locations that constitute the service area of the provider. See BDC Availability Data Specifications Section 6 for more info.
- Fixed wireless broadband service providers must submit either propagation maps and propagation model details, or a list of locations that constitute the service area of the provider. See BDC Availability Data Specifications Sections 6 and 7 for more info.
- Mobile wireless broadband service providers must submit propagation maps and propagation model details for each network technology and for both outdoor stationary and in-vehicle mobile network coverage. In addition, mobile wireless broadband service providers must also submit signal strength heat map data. See BDC Availability Data Specifications Sections 8 and 9 for more info.
- Facilities-based providers of mobile voice service must file BDC mobile voice coverage data in the BDC system. See BDC Availability Data Specifications Section 8.2 for more info.
- Subscription Data:
- Facilities-based providers of fixed or mobile broadband service must submit broadband subscription data in the BDC system.
- Facilities-based providers of mobile voice service must submit mobile voice subscription data in the BDC system.
- All providers of fixed voice service (including providers of local exchange telephone service and/or interconnected voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service) must submit fixed voice subscription data in the BDC system.
- The subscription data that must be submitted in the BDC system is generally the same as the data required in the Form 477 filing interface. See BDC Availability Data Specifications Section 5 for more info.
|BDC Filing Sections by Provider Type|
|Facilities-based Providers of Fixed Broadband Service||Facilities-based Providers of Terrestrial Mobile Wireless Broadband||Providers of Wired or Fixed Wireless Local Exchange Telephone Service||Providers of Interconnected VoIP Service||Facilities-based Providers of Mobile Voice Service|
|Fixed Broadband Availability|
|Fixed Broadband Availability Supporting Data|
|Fixed Broadband Subscription|
|Fixed Voice Subscription (Tract Data)|
|Local Exchange Telephone Subscriptions (State Data)|
|Interconnected VoIP Subscriptions (State Data)|
|Mobile Broadband Availability|
|Mobile Broadband Availability Supporting Data|
|Mobile Broadband Subscription|
|Mobile Voice Availability|
|Mobile Voice Subscription|
How do I file?
- Filers will submit data in the BDC system either via file upload or web form.
- A system user guide, help articles, video tutorials, and other technical assistance resources to assist filers are available in the BDC Help Center. You may submit a request for additional technical assistance through that Help Center.
Important information for filers of FCC Form 477
The Commission has announced the sunset of the block-level broadband deployment data required on FCC Form 477. All remaining information required for Form 477, and all information required for the Broadband Data Collection, must be filed in the BDC system going forward. See “What do I need to file?” above for information on the filing requirements by provider type.
Service providers that offer only fixed voice service (and do not also offer broadband service) must similarly submit their fixed voice subscribership data in the BDC system. The Form 477 filing interface will not accept data as of December 31, 2022.
See the BDC Availability Data Specifications for information on the data required by the BDC system. For information on revising previously submitted Form 477 data, see the FCC’s Form 477 Resources page.