Applying for Special Temporary Authority (STA)
We strongly encourage electronic filing via the Universal Licensing System (ULS).
Review rule section 90.159 concerning Temporary & Conditional Permits prior to submission.
1. Log onto License Manager using FRN & Password. After entering your password, proceed to Step 2 below to begin filing the application.
- If you do not have an FRN, you can register for one here: https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do or by clicking the “Register with the FCC” link on the Log In page
- If you do not know your FRN, you can search for it by entering your call sign here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp or by clicking the link “Check Your Licenses” link on the Log In page
- If you do not know the password:
- Click on the “Contact Tech Support” link under the Submit button on the Log In page
- On the next page, click the “Forgot Your Password” link and follow the prompts for resetting the password.
- After receiving confirmation of a successful password reset, click the link for Universal Licensing System (DO NOT click the CORES Public Interface link.)
- Click the yellow ULS License Manager button to return to the Log In page.
- Enter the FRN and password and click the Submit button.
2. On the left side of hte page, click the Apply for a New License link.
3. From the drop-down box, select the Radio Service code for the new license.
4. APPLICATION INFO: Complete the Application Information section (this page must be completed in its entirety in order to save the application). Click on the radio button for Special Temporary Authorization (STA). Answer Yes to the attachment question (a document justifying the reason for the STA request must be uploaded to the application; click the attachment link at the top of the screen to upload). NOTE: Use the Tab key or mouse to navigate through the fields on the pages. Using the Enter key will advance you to the next page of the application.
5. Click the Continue button or the links on the Navigation Bar on the right to navigate through the application.
6. Complete the Applicant Information, Contact Information, and the Ownership/Qualification sections. If any questions are answered as "Yes," then an attachment is required explaining the "Yes" answer.
7. Complete the Control Point page; all fields are required. Enter the Control Point information by clicking the Add New Control Point button on the right. Click Save Point after entering the control point information and before clicking Continue to the next page.
8. Complete the Administrative page
9. Enter the Location information by clicking the Add Location button in the selection box. Click the Save Location button to add the location information to the application and return to the Location List page. Or, click the Save & Add Another button until all locations have been added.
10. To add Antennas, select the Location number from the Select Location box and then click the Add Antenna button. Click the Save Antenna button to add the antenna information to the application and return to the Antennas page. Or, click the Save & Add Another button until all antennas have been added.
11. To add Frequency information, select the Antenna number from the Select Antenna box and then click the Add Frequency button. Complete the frequency information and click the Save Frequency button to add this information to the application and return to the Frequency page. Or, click the Save & Add Another Frequency button until all frequencies have been added.
NOTE: We recommend adding all frequencies first before adding the emission designators.
12. To add Emissions, the frequency data must be saved first. Go to the Frequency page, select the Frequency, and then click the Modify or Edit button beside the frequency. Scroll down to the Emission Information section and click the Add new Emission button in the right-hand box. Enter the emission data and click the Save Emission button. Click the Add New Emission button to enter additional emissions data for that frequency if needed. Once all emissions data has been entered, click the Save Frequency button to return to the frequency page. Repeat these steps to enter emissions for other frequencies.
13. Sign your application by typing your first and last name in the name fields.
14. Before submitting your application click the Check Errors and Submit link at the bottom of the Navigation Bar. This will display any errors that need to be corrected before the application can be submitted to the Commission. Use the links in the Navigation Bar to go to the section of the application that needs to be corrected; the filer will NOT be automatically "linked" to the specific section of the application that contained the error.
15. Submit the application. ULS will calculate the fees. Fees for online filing MUST be received within 10 calendar days of the filing. Click the Continue For Payment Options button to choose the method of payment.
An STA is issued on a temporary basis and may need to be renewed prior to the expiration date. You may also need to apply for a permanent license. If you have questions, please contact the ULS Customer Support Hotline at 1-877-480-3201.
Further information regarding Land Mobile Radio station licenses can be found at https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/private-land-mobile-radio-services
Monday, April 29, 2019