Domestic carriers, which include traditional wireline telephone companies and some cable companies that provide telephone service, must follow rules adopted by the Federal Communications Commission if they plan to discontinue, reduce or impair telephone service for any reason, including bankruptcy. The purpose of the rules is to protect customers from abrupt changes to or termination of telephone service from one carrier without an opportunity to arrange service with another provider.

In some cases, even if a carrier files for bankruptcy, it will continue to provide service. The carrier may even be able to emerge from bankruptcy and continue serving its customers for many years.

The FCC’s rules for discontinuing, reducing or impairing service require carriers to:

  • provide written notice to affected customers of any planned discontinuance, reduction or impairment of service, stating that customers have the right to file comments with the FCC;
  • after notifying affected customers, request permission from the FCC to discontinue, reduce or impair service; and
  • continue providing service for a minimum number of days (31 days for non-dominant providers and 60 days for dominant providers) after the FCC releases a Public Notice announcing the request to discontinue, reduce or impair service and seeking comment on the proposed discontinuance, reduction or impairment.

The FCC can extend the termination date.

For international telephone service, carriers must provide their customers 60 days’ notice before discontinuing, reducing or impairing service. The carrier must also file a copy of the notice with the FCC on or after the date affected customers are notified.

If you object to a carrier’s plan to discontinue, reduce or impair service, you can file your objections or other comments with the FCC in response to its Public Notice announcing the proposed discontinuance, reduction or impairment. The Public Notice will state the applicable deadline and procedures for filing such comments. The FCC will consider your objections or other comments when evaluating the carrier’s request to discontinue, reduce or impair its service. The FCC usually will authorize a carrier’s request to discontinue, reduce or impair service unless the carrier’s customers are unable to receive similar services or a reasonable substitute from another provider.

Customer Transfers

Sometimes during bankruptcy or for other business reasons, a carrier may sell or transfer its customer base to another company. FCC rules establish several protections for consumers in such cases. The rules state that:

  • the acquiring company must provide customers 30 days’ advance notice of the transfer, including information about its rates and services; and
  • customers may accept the acquiring company or choose another company.

Customers who are transferred to an acquiring company without adequate notice are entitled to relief under the FCC’s slamming rules. For more information about these rules or to file a complaint about being slammed, visit the slamming page of the FCC’s website.

Filing a complaint

You have multiple options for filing a complaint with the FCC:

  • File a complaint online
  • By phone: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322); ASL: 1-844-432-2275
  • By mail (please include your name, address, contact information and as much detail about your complaint as possible):

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division
445 12th Street, S.W.
Washington, DC 20554

What About Discontinuance of Telephone Service from a Wireless or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) Company?

The FCC has not adopted specific rules for wireless providers that discontinue, reduce or impair service. Procedures for discontinuance, reduction or impairment of service may be stated in your contract for service with these types of providers. The FCC has, however, adopted rules that require interconnected VoIP providers to comply with the FCC’s discontinuance requirements for non-dominant carriers. If a wireless or VoIP provider discontinues, reduces or impairs your service without cause or notice in a manner that leaves you without alternative telephone service, you can file a complaint with the FCC as described above. State laws may offer additional protections. Therefore, you may also want to contact your state public utility commission or consumer protection agency. Contact information for state public utility commissions can be found on the Internet at or in the government section or blue pages of your local telephone directory.

Accessible formats

To request this article in an accessible format - braille, large print, Word or text document or audio - write or call us at the address or phone number at the bottom of the page, or send an email to

Print Out

When Your Telephone Company Discontinues Service Guide (pdf)

Date Last Updated/Reviewed: 
Saturday, November 7, 2015 - 7:45pm