Skip Navigation

Federal Communications Commission

English Display Options

Commission Document

FCC Consumer Tip Sheet on Cramming

Download Options

Released: June 20, 2011

FCC Consumer Tip Sheet

Unauthorized Phone Charges: How to Protect Yourself from "Cramming"

"Cramming" is the illegal practice of placing unauthorized charges on your telephone bill.
Crammers rely on confusing telephone bills, and vague or confusing wording, in an attempt to
trick consumers into paying for these unwanted services. For example, charges may read
"service fee," "service charge," "other fees," "voicemail," "mail server," "calling plan,"
"membership," "monthly fee" or "minimum monthly usage fee" on your bill.

How to Prevent and Spot Cramming Charges

Carefully read all forms and promotional materials

including the fine print before
signing up for telephone or other services to be charged to your phone bill. Be equally
careful if you receive an offer by phone.

Carefully review your telephone bill every month

. Monitor it just as closely as you review
your monthly credit card or bank statements.

Ask yourself the following questions as you review your telephone bill

1) Do I recognize the names of all the companies listed on my bill?
2) What services were provided by the listed companies?
3) Does my bill include charges for calls I did not place or services I did not authorize?
4) Are the rates and line items consistent with the information that the company
quoted to me?

Do not ignore small charges, which can add up to big amounts.

Crammers often try to go
undetected by submitting $1.99 or $2.99 charges to tens of thousands of consumers.

If You Suspect Unauthorized Charges

Ask the company for an explanation

before paying when you don't know what service was
provided for a charge on your bill. If you don't receive a clear and accurate explanation:

Immediately call the company that charged you

for services you did not authorize and
request adjustment to your bill for any incorrect charges. If that doesn't work:

Call your own telephone company

and request to have the incorrect charges removed.
And if that doesn't work:

You can also file a complaint with the FCC

for charges related to telephone services
between states or internationally; with your state public service commission for
telephone services within your state; and with the FTC for non-telephone services on
your telephone bill.
To file a complaint with the FCC for free, visit or call 1-888-CALL-FCC
voice or 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY. Or write to the Federal
Communications Commission Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau, Consumer Inquiries
and Complaints Division, 445 12th Street, SW, Washington, D.C., 20554.

Note: We are currently transitioning our documents into web compatible formats for easier reading. We have done our best to supply this content to you in a presentable form, but there may be some formatting issues while we improve the technology. The original version of the document is available as a PDF, Word Document, or as plain text.


You are leaving the FCC website

You are about to leave the FCC website and visit a third-party, non-governmental website that the FCC does not maintain or control. The FCC does not endorse any product or service, and is not responsible for, nor can it guarantee the validity or timeliness of the content on the page you are about to visit. Additionally, the privacy policies of this third-party page may differ from those of the FCC.