“This page is a digitally archived AccessInfo Announcement”
On November 18, 2015, a summary of the Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (FNPRM) seeking comment on temporarily freezing certain video relay service (VRS) rates and on measures to enhance the service was published in the Federal Register. (See 80 FR 72029.) Because the comment and reply comment deadlines are calculated from the date of publication of the summary in the Federal Register, we are issuing this AccessInfo notice to provide the actual comment and reply comment dates.
- Comments on VRS Rates Due: December 9, 2015
- Reply Comments on VRS Rates Due: December 24, 2015
- Comments on Service Improvements Due: January 4, 2016
- Reply Comments on Service Improvements Due: February 1, 2016
Background: On November 3, 2015, the Commission released an FNPRM proposing to temporarily freeze certain VRS rates. The NPRM also seeks comment on the following measures to enhance VRS:
- Impose a stricter speed‐of‐answer standard;
- Adopt a limited trial of “skills‐based routing”;
- Authorize providers to use qualified deaf sign language interpreters;
- Authorize the use of at‐home interpreters under certain conditions; and
- Permit the assignment of ten digit numbers for video phones used by hearing individuals.
The following are links to the November 3, 2015 FNPRM:
For further information contact Robert Aldrich, Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau at 202‐418‐0996 or e‐mail Robert.Aldrich@fcc.gov.