“This page is a digitally archived AccessInfo Announcement”
On October 19, 2017, the FCC released a public notice announcing October 17, 2017 as the effective date for rules adopted in the 2017 Video Relay Services Improvement Order implementing:
- the at-home calling handling pilot program; and
- the option for VRS providers to assign iTRS numbers to hearing individuals for point-to-point video communications with VRS users.
Providers are permitted, but are not required, to assign iTRS numbers to hearing individuals that submit signed self-certifications stating that such individual:
- Is proficient in sign language;
- Understands that the iTRS number may only be used for communicating via point-to-point with registered VRS users; and
- Understands that such iTRS number may not be used to access VRS or 911.
Links to the Public Notice:
Link to the Federal Register publication:
Links to the 2017 VRS Improvements Order:
For further information about the item, please contact Michael Scott, CGB, (202) 418-1246, email Michael.Scott@fcc.gov or Eliot Greenwald, CGB, (202) 418-2235, email Eliot.Greenwald@fcc.gov. For those using videophones and fluent in American Sign Language, you may call the FCC’s ASL Consumer Support Line at 844-432-2275 (videophone).