Reply Comments Due: April 20, 2023
On March 17, 2023, the FCC released an order granting a request filed by fifteen groups for an extension of the time in which to file reply comments in response to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) about preventing and eliminating digital discrimination. Reply comments, originally due on March 21, 2023, are now due April 20, 2023.
As described earlier, the December 21, 2022, NPRM, among other things:
- Proposes to define digital discrimination of access and seeks comment on the appropriate legal standard.
- Seeks comment on what services, entities, and practices should be within the scope of its definition of digital discrimination of access (including whether to add disability to the list of characteristics covered by the rules).
- Seeks comment on how to facilitate equal access and combat digital discrimination of access, and the legal authority for adopted rules.
- Proposes to revise the FCC’s informal complaint process to accept complaints regarding digital discrimination of access.
- Proposes to adopt model policies and best practices for states and localities to combat digital discrimination.
Interested parties may file comments by accessing the FCC’s Electronic Comment Filing System at https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings. All filings must reference CG Docket No. 22-69. People with disabilities who need assistance to file comments online may request assistance by email to FCC504@fcc.gov.
Link to the Order Extending the Comment Period:
Link to the NPRM:
For general information about the Task Force to Prevent Digital Discrimination, visit https://www.fcc.gov/task-force-prevent-digital-discrimination. For further information on the digital discrimination of access item, contact Aurélie Mathieu, Competition Policy Division, Wireline Competition Bureau, at (202) 418-2194 or Aurelie.Mathieu@fcc.gov. Individuals who use videophones and are fluent in American Sign Language (ASL) may call the FCC’s ASL Consumer Support Line at (844) 432-2275 (videophone).