The Commission has announced a tentative agenda for the Open Commission Meeting scheduled for 10:30am on Thursday, May 20, 2021. At the meeting, the Commission will consider two accessibility items.
1. Video Relay Services (VRS).
- The Draft Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Order would:
- Propose the adoption of a new compensation plan for the provision of VRS to replace the current plan, which expires June 30, 2021.
- Extend the current VRS compensation rates through December 31, 2021, or the effective date of compensation rates to be adopted in a future item, whichever is earlier.
2. Inmate Calling Services (ICS).
- The Draft Third Report and Order, Order on Reconsideration, and Fifth Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to reform inmate calling services rates and charges would:
- Direct the FCC’s Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau to coordinate with the Department of Justice to ensure that incarcerated people with disabilities have functionally equivalent access to telecommunications.
- Seek comment on the provision of communications services to incarcerated people with hearing and speech disabilities, including various types of telecommunications relay services and direct video communication.
The FCC Open Meeting is online only, and streamed live with open captioning and American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters at www.fcc.gov/live.
May 20 Meeting News Release:
Public Draft of the VRS Compensation NPRM and Order:
Public Draft of the ICS Order, Order on Reconsideration and FNPRM:
For general information about VRS, visit: https://www.fcc.gov/vrs. For specific questions about the VRS item, please contact Michael Scott, Disability Rights Office, CGB at (202) 418-1264 or Michael.Scott@fcc.gov. For specific questions about the ICS item, please contact Erik Raven-Hansen, Wireline Competition Bureau, at (202) 418-1532 or Erik.Raven-Hansen@fcc.gov. Individuals who use videophones and are ASL-fluent may call the FCC’s ASL Consumer Support Line at (844) 432-2275 (videophone).