FCC Unveils Updated and Modernized National Broadband Map
Background: On February 22,2018, the FCC unveiled a new and improved National Broadband Map providing consumers, policymakers, and other interested stakeholders better access to enhanced, and frequently updated, fixed broadband deployment information. With its advanced features, the new map affords a wealth of data and information that will aid in advancing the FCC's and state and local government efforts to close the digital divide.
QUICK SUMMARY: The new, cloud-based map provides various categories of data, including:
- Broadband and provider availability in over 11 million national census blocks by technology (fiber, DSL, cable, satellite, fixed wireless, etc.) and speed;
- Deployment information for various geographical types, including Nation, state, county congressional district, city or town, Tribal area and deployment comparisons between geographic areas;
- Information about 1,782 providers by technology, speed tiers and upload speed tiers;
- Graphic information illustrating an area's population percentage with access to broadband at specified speeds; and
- Easy access to broadband and provider information by simply typing in a specified address.
The map can be accessed at https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov.
Instructions on map use and a demonstration video can be accessed at https://broadbandmap.fcc.gov/#/about.