U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

To fulfill its responsibilities under the law, the FCC must often ask its applicants or licensees to fill out forms, maintain records, or disclose information to others. These are known as information collections. The Paperwork Reduction Act (44 U.S.C. Part 35) requires us to get approval for our information collections from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB). We obtain separate approvals from OMB for each of our information collections.

OMB Control Numbers and Expiration Dates

Approved information collections must display an OMB control number and an expiration date. An approval usually expires three years after OMB grants it, so the FCC must periodically ask for an extension of OMB approval until the collection is no longer needed.

Types of PRA Submissions to OMB

We call our PRA submissions to OMB “clearance requests.” Most of our PRA submissions to OMB are for extensions, but we also submit requests whenever we want to change an information collection or create a new one. Here is a brief explanation of the types of requests we submit to OMB.


  • Extensions – An extension of OMB approval for an information collection does not involve any change other than an extension of its expiration date. Most extensions must be granted by OMB, but in some cases the Commission can grant its own extensions based on delegated authority from OMB.
  • Revisions – A revision involves a change to an existing information collection. The change can involve those who respond to the collection or the specific information collected.
  • New collections – If the FCC wants to collect information or have people maintain or disclose information not related to any of our current information collections, a request for approval must be submitted to OMD.


If you can't find the information you need about an FCC information collection on this website, contact us at PRA@fcc.gov.