This week the FCC announced that a public forum will be held on May 12, 2010, from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm to discuss potential enhancements to the Spectrum Dashboard in anticipation of release 2.0 of the Spectrum Dashboard in the fourth quarter of 2010.
Anyone interested in providing feedback on the list of potential enhancements below, suggesting additional potential enhancements, or participating at the forum by sharing your experiences with using the Spectrum Dashboard should contact me by April 30, 2010 at James.Brown at FCC dot gov or (717) 338-2621. Final details of the forum will be announced approximately one week before the forum on this blog and in a public notice.
Potential Enhancements to the Spectrum Dashboard
Enhance license information:
- Add spectrum leases, including the common name for lessees.
- Modify how cellular licenses are depicted in the Spectrum Dashboard by cutting off Service Area Boundaries (SABs) at the Cellular Market Area (CMA) boundaries.
- Update broadcast data to include more current information for full power TV stations and to add data for low power TV stations.
Add search capabilities:
- Identify spectrum licensed on federally-recognized Tribal Lands.
- Add additional types of licenses that can be searched and add additional search options.
- Expand the range of spectrum bands where information is available (currently the Spectrum Dashboard encompasses 225 MHz – 3700 MHz).
Improve search results:
- Modify maps to include information such as FCC market boundaries and third-party data from sources such as the Census Bureau.
- Identify the percentage of geography covered and total population included for counties where a license area does not cover an entire county.
Expand the information available for downloading:
- Provide access to the “shape files” used to create maps.