Twitter Town Hall with Gigi Sohn & Alex Nogales: Unlocking the Box to Create New Opportunities for Consumers and Minority & Independent Programmers
Last month, Chairman Wheeler announced his proposal to tear down anti-competitive barriers and pave the way for software, devices and other innovative solutions to compete with the set-top boxes that a majority of consumers must lease today from pay-TV providers. This week, the Commission will vote on the proposal at our Open Commission Meeting.
On Tuesday, February 16, Gigi Sohn, Counselor to Chairman Tom Wheeler, and Alex Nogales, President and CEO of the National Hispanic Media Coalition, will answer your questions about how the proposal aims to unlock the content currently chained to pay-TV devices and apps so consumers can have new options for accessing the programming they pay for.
Introducing competition and innovation in interfaces available to consumers can also ensure that minority and independent programmers are on a level playing field with programming from the largest media companies. Competitive solutions will provide consumers more flexibility to search for and find the content they care about most, including minority and special-interest programs. Easier access to diverse programming will lead to increased opportunities for a wide range of programmers.
Please submit your questions using the hashtag: #UnlocktheBox
Date: Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Time: 3:00 - 4:00 PM EDT
- Gigi Sohn, Counselor to Chairman Tom Wheeler, Federal Communications Commission Tweets from (@GigiBSohnFCC).
- Alex Nogales, President and CEO, National Hispanic Media Coalition Tweets from (@alexnogalesNHMC).
If you are new to Twitter chats, you can use the following steps to sign up and participate:
- Create a Twitter account at Twitter.com
- Search for @GigiBSohnFCC and @alexnogalesNHMC Twitter pages and click follow.
- Search for #UnlocktheBox in Twitter’s search bar.
- Save the #UnlocktheBox search term to follow the ongoing dialogue.
- To signify your participation in the Twitter chat, tweet your comment or question and include the hashtag #UnlocktheBox. Then click refresh to view your tweet.