State regulatory commissions can access the following state-specific FCC Form 477 subscribership data after signing a data-sharing agreement:
- Provider-specific fixed broadband and fixed voice subscribership data at the tract level
- Provider-specific mobile broadband and mobile voice subscribership data at the state level
Also starting in October 2016, the FCC is using Box.com as the secure online platform to share the data.
Steps for state commissions to obtain data:
1. Send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- The name, title, and complete contact information of the commission official who will sign the data-sharing agreement on behalf of the state commission. This must include the individual's official email address.
- The name, title, and complete contact information of the commission staff member (if different from the official who will sign the data sharing agreement) designated to access the state-specific Form 477 data on behalf of the state commission. The contact information must include the individual's official email address.
- If the state commission had a data-sharing agreement in effect in the past, a statement that the legal basis for that agreement has not changed. Alternatively, a statement of the provisions in state law that afford procedural and substantive protections equal to or greater than Federal confidentiality statutes and rules (see sample data-sharing agreement (PDF)). If state law does not have provisions affording such protection or affords less protection than the Federal standard, a statement of which particular order or authority will allow the commission to utilize the Federal standard in this instance.
2. After the FCC's Office of Economics and Analytics (OEA) reviews this information, OEA will prepare a data-sharing agreement, sign it on behalf of the FCC, and email a scanned copy to the state commission for signature.
3. The state commission must return the fully-signed agreement to OEA by emailing a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. OEA staff will contact the state commission official or designated staff member with instructions for accessing the data-sharing system. In addition, this individual will receive an email (at his or her individual official commission email address) inviting him or her to access a Box.com folder that contains the state-specific Form 477 data. The individual must click on a link in the email and follow prompts to set up a Box.com account for that email address (if one does not already exist). After logging in, the individual will be taken to the folder/page with the state-specific data.