The Media Bureau provides information from its Broadcast and Cable databases for public download and use.
Users should be aware that the database information is primarily intended for staff use and may not include all the data desired. All databases and related information are provided as-is and any use is at the user's sole risk. Additionally, we do not have the staff resources to permit us to provide individual assistance with setup and reading of the databases. While we strive for accuracy, users are cautioned that the databases may not be entirely free from errors. Please bring errors to our attention so that we can correct them promptly.
- CDBS (Consolidated DataBase System) -- CDBS is the relational database used by the Media Bureau to process broadcast applications. New users should start by reading the readme.html file, the Code Table file, and the Engineering Data Description (PDF) file.
For your convenience, many of the the individual CDBS text files listed are included in the large (on the order of 150 MB) all-cdbs-files.zip zipped file. These files are automatically updated at betweween 4:15 to 5:15 AM Eastern time on the morning after each business day.
- FM Service Contour Data Points -- The files contained herein consist of calculated latitude and longitude points for FM service contours, 360 points for each contour. The contour data must be correlated with data from the CDBS database, or from the FM Query. This data is intended for use with GIS systems.
- TV Service Contour Data Points -- The files contained herein consist of calculated latitude and longitude points for digital television service contours, 360 points for each contour. The contour data must be correlated with data from the CDBS database, or from the TV Query. This data is intended for use with GIS systems.
Users are advised that these service contours may not provide sufficient detail for digital television allocations work, but they do provide a useful, simple representation of expected digital television coverage.
- DTV White Space Data Files -- Additional files posted in the CDBS directory which will be available to the white space Internet database operators for inclusion in the white space database. The data is collected by a web interface that has been developed by The Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) and the Media Bureau (MB) for updating the input channels of TV translators, Low Power TV (LPTV), and Class A TV stations.
- Formatted Files -- The formatted engineering database flat files in this directory are extracted from the CDBS files above and copied into the format used by the FCC's VAX programs prior to 2000 (when CDBS was initiated). These files are primarily intended for the small number of users with programs originally written using the old database structure. We do not recommend the creation of new programs based on this old structure.
For more information on AM and FM radio broadcasting, please visit the Audio Division website, and the Broadcast Radio Links page.
For more information on Television broadcasting, please visit the Video Division website.
FCC > Media Bureau > Audio Division, (202) 418-2700, and Video Division, (202) 418-1600.