How to Request Reasonable Accommodations of a Disability

The employee (or her/his supervisor) should submit the request for "reasonable accommodation" of a disability to the Office of Workplace Diversity (OWD).

For request submitted by the employee's supervisor, please contact OWD for special instructions.

The request must include a certification from a medical practitioner that states and the following:

  • The diagnosis of a disability.
  • The impact of the disability on the employee's ability to perform his/her job, as described in the position description of record (which was reviewed by the medical practitioner).
  • The nature of the disability (temporary/permanent).
  • The prognosis for recovery, if the disability is temporary.
  • The aspect of the job needing accommodation.

Reasonable Accommodation Policy and Procedures

The request should be made on the Request for Reasonable Accommodation (FCC Form 5626), "Request for Barrier Removal or Reasonable Accommodation."

Copies are available from the Office of Workplace Diversity (OWD).

OWD will determine the employee's eligibility for an accommodation pursuant to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. If the employee is eligible, OWD will work with the employee, employee's supervisor and the attending physician to identify an effective accommodation. The accommodation approved by OWD will be forwarded to the appropriate office for action necessary to implement such accommodation (e.g., to ITC, for purchase/installation of computer equipment; to HRM for a personnel action; etc.) OWD will work collaboratively with such office(s) to insure that approved accommodations are completed expeditiously, as required by law.

Reasonable Accommodation Policy and Procedures

Personal Assistance Services Procedures


Thursday, July 25, 2019