Temporary Operator Permit
An applicant for an Aircraft, Ship, Restricted Radiotelephone, Restricted Radiotelephone-Limited Use, and GMRS Radio Service may operate for 90 days under temporary authority evidenced by a properly executed certification made on FCC Form 605. This temporary authority is covered under FCC 605, Schedule F.
Special Temporary Authority (STA)
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) grants Special Temporary Authority (STA) in emergencies or other urgent conditions requiring immediate or temporary use of facilities. Request may be made for STA to install and/or operate new or modified equipment, subject to the appropriate requirements governed by FCC C.F.R. 1.931(b).
Note: Special Temporary Authorizations are applicable ONLY to Ship and Aircraft applicants/licensees.
The STA is issued for a temporary, non-recurring service where a regular authorization is not appropriate. The Commission may grant STA for a period not to exceed 180 days under the provisions of section 309(f) of the Communications Act of 1934.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to file electronically via the Universal Licensing System (ULS).
Applicants for Special Temporary Authority should apply on FCC form 605 accompanied with the appropriate schedules. All applications for STA must also include an attachment that would justify the need for an STA. For forms see Forms & Fees
on how to download forms or request forms by phone from ULS Customer Support Hotline 877-480-3201.
There are no filing fees associated with Special Temporary Authority (STA) in the Aircraft or Ship services.
We strongly encourage electronic filing via the Universal Licensing System (ULS). Using ULS to file an application for a STA, access the ULS homepage
, select Online Filing. Log in to License Manager using FCC Registration Number (FRN) and associated Password.
- On the left hand column choose Apply for a New License.
- Click down arrow and select Radio Service code. Click Continue.
- APPLICATION INFO: Complete Application Information. Be sure to select Special Temporary Authority from the drop down. Click continue to move through the pages of the application.
- ATTACHMENT: An attachment is required explaining in detail why you need to be issued a temporary license and how long you will need the temporary license. Click the "Attachment" button at the top of the page. This will open a separate screen on your computer. Complete the attachment information and click "Add Attachment." Close this screen to get back to the application.
- Review the summary page before continuing to certify the filing and submit. This will be the final chance to review your information before submission. Once you have completed the review on the summary page click "Continue to Certify."
- Certification information will now appear and you will need to sign. Click the "Submit" button at the bottom right hand side of the page. Print confirmation page or jot down File number.
- If a fee is required ULS will automatically calculate this fee. Click the "Continue to 159" button to make payment online or to print out the FCC form 159.
All applicants for STA, who wish to file manually, will be required to complete FCC 605 main form and appropriate schedules, as determined by the radio service. Submit your request, a completed FCC 605 and appropriate schedules to:
Federal Communications Commission
1270 Fairfield Road
Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
If additional assistance is needed in completing the filing information, please call the ULS Customer Support Hotline at 1-877-480-3201, select option 2.