U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

The FCC has no rules regarding recording of telephone conversations by individuals, but some state laws prohibit this practice.

Recording Intrastate Wireline Conversations

Recording intrastate (within the same state) wireline telephone conversations may violate state laws. Your state public service commission should be able to answer any questions about relevant state laws and rules. Find contact information at www.naruc.org or in the blue pages or government section of your local telephone directory.

Wiretapping – Wireline Phones

Wiretapping is regulated by both federal and state governments and, when done illegally, is punishable by criminal sanctions. For more information concerning your state's wiretapping laws, contact your state attorney general’s office.

For information concerning federal wiretapping laws, contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) through its website: www.fbi.gov.

For More Information

For information regarding interception or recording of wireless telephone conversations, see the FCC’s consumer guide on interception and divulgence of radio communications.

Printable Version

Recording Telephone Conversations (pdf)


Date Last Updated/Reviewed:

Alternate Format Requests

People with print disabilities may request braille, large print, or screen-reader friendly versions of this article via the email form at fcc504@fcc.gov For audio and other access, use the "Explore Accessibility Options" link.


Consumer Help Center

Learn about consumer issues - visit the FCC's Consumer Help Center at fcc.gov/consumers



File a Complaint with the FCC

File Your Complaint

Visit our Consumer Complaint Center at consumercomplaints.fcc.gov   to file a complaint or tell us your story.