The Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau provides this non-exhaustive list of useful resources for small and rural service providers.
Network Reliability and Resiliency
- Communications Security, Reliability, and Interoperability Council (CSRIC) Best Practices: Voluntary network reliability best practices database for cable, Internet/data, satellite, wireless, and wireline networks adopted by CSRIC.
- Network Outage Reporting System (NORS): Web-based filing system through which communications providers are required to electronically report information about significant disruptions or outages to their communications systems once certain thresholds are met, as described in Part 4 of the FCC’s rules (47 C.F.R. §§ 4.9 et seq.). The Commission uses data from this system to identify and study trends and to work collaboratively with communications providers to improve communications reliability.
- Network Reliability Best Practices for Small and Rural Providers: A list of 23 of the most recurring best practices as reported by small and rural carriers in NORS outage reports filed during the last five years.
- Emergency Alert System Security Best Practices: The Emergency Alert System is a national public warning system through which broadcast TV, radio, cable, wireline video, satellite and other service providers provide the communications capability to the President to address the American public during a national emergency. The system also may be used by state and local authorities to deliver emergency information, such as AMBER alerts and weather-related alerts. This 2014 CSRIC Report provides voluntary security best practices for EAS participants, alert originators, EAS device manufacturers, and government agencies.
Times of crisis can create a strain on networks and other infrastructure. Small and rural providers are a critical link to their communities during such times, and below are some resources to support them in that role.
- Disaster Information Reporting System (DIRS): Web-based system that communications companies, including wireless, wireline, broadcast, and cable providers, can use on a voluntary basis to report communications infrastructure status and situational awareness information during times of crisis.
- Emergency Alert System: Resources and handbook instructions for Emergency Alert procedures.
- Disaster Support for Broadcasters: Resource list for outreach support, disaster information reporting system details, logistical coordination assistance, multi-lingual emergency broadcast support, and other information.
- FCC Small Business Cyber Planner: A tool for small businesses to create a cybersecurity planning guide customized for their business needs.
- FCC Cybersecurity Tips for Small Businesses: Ten cybersecurity tips for small businesses to protect themselves and their customers from cybersecurity threats.
- CSRIC Small and Medium Business Cybersecurity Risk Management and Best Practices (Working Group 4 Final Report): CSRIC Working Group Report providing cybersecurity risk management mechanisms and implementation guidance on the NIST Cybersecurity Framework for small and mid-size businesses in the broadcast, cable, satellite, wireless, and wireline communications industry.
- NIST Interagency Report - Small Business Information Security: Guidance on how small businesses can provide basic security for their information, systems and networks.