The FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology (OET) has released software, called TVStudy, which interfaces with data contained in FCC Media Bureau’s CDBS/LMS databases and is used to perform coverage and interference analyses of full service digital and Class A television stations. TVStudy software is provided for both Mac and Linux platforms with Java and C source code freely available under a BSD (Berkley Software Distribution) license.
The software was initially developed for use in the broadcast television incentive auction for evaluating the coverage areas and population served for television stations in the United States. The version used for all calculations related to the incentive auction is version 1.3.2, which remains available on the OET–69 TVStudy page. Newer versions of TVStudy intended for use related to transitional issues after conclusion of the incentive auction will appear on this page.
TVStudy Software Releases
OET Announces Release of TVStudy Version 2.2.5 [Public Notice]
TVStudy 2.2.5 (3/13/2018)
This release contains an updated TV Interference Check mode, as well as many other new features and functions. See the TVStudy Installation Guide for details. See the TVStudy Installation Guide for details.
- Data [2017Nov_tvstudy_data_updates.tgz]
- Mac [2018Mar_tvstudy_mac_files.tgz]
- Linux [2018Mar_tvstudy_linux64_files.tgz]
- Installation and Upgrade Guide [PDF]
- Manual [PDF]
- Quick Start Reference [PDF]
The procedures contained herein for predicting FM coverage and interference have not been formally proposed nor adopted by the Commission for use in FM broadcast station licensing and cannot be accepted for FM broadcast radio application processing. Use of these methods in lieu of the established procedures set forth in 47 C.F.R. Sections 73.207, 73.213, 73.215, 73.313, 73.315, 73.509, 73.525, 73.807, 73.1125, 74.1204, or any other relevant coverage rule or interference rule used for the FM services, may result in dismissal of the application for no other cause without recourse. These new methods are presented here for informational purposes only, and do not represent any plan by the Commission to change the existing procedures in the FM broadcast radio service.
Information for all Releases
Unless otherwise noted the items in this section are compatible with all TVStudy software releases.
- TVStudy Frequenly Asked Question (FAQ) page.
- For information on using the software see the TVStudy Manual.
QGIS Mapping Templates:
Data for New Installations:
- Terrain Database Test and Verification Utility
- TVStudy Apache Tomcat Servlet
Canadian Digital Elevation Data (CDED) and National Land Cover Data (NLCD) datasets:
- CDED and NLCD Supplemental Data Read Me
TVStudy Related Information at the FCC
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2.5
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2.4
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2.3
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2.2
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2.1
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.2
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.1
- Public Notice Announcing TVStudy 2.0
- TVStudy 1.3.2 - Version for use with the Incentive Auction
- OET Bulletin 74
- OET Bulletin 69