The North American Numbering Council (NANC) is a Federal Advisory Committee. The NANC advises the Commission and makes recommendations, reached through consensus, that foster efficient and impartial number administration. The NANC is composed of representatives of telecommunications carriers, regulators, cable providers, VoIP providers, industry associations, vendors and consumer advocates. Working groups and task forces made up of industry experts have been established by the NANC to assist it in its efforts. The initial NANC charter was filed with Congress on October 5, 1995, and the NANC held its first meeting on October 1, 1996. The current charter expires on September 16, 2023.
The Honorable Karen Charles Peterson, Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications and Cable, currently serves as the Chair of the NANC. Bridget Alexander White, Staff Director at John Staurulakis, LLC, represents USConnect on the Council and currently serves as the Vice Chair of the NANC.
Prior NANC Chairs:
- Jennifer McKee (2019 – 2021), Vice President and Associate General Counsel of NCTA – The Internet & Television Association
- The Honorable Travis Kavulla (2017 – 2019), former Commissioner, Montana Public Service Commission
- The Honorable Betty Ann Kane (2009 – 2017) Chairman, Public Service Commission of the District of Columbia
- Thomas M. Koutsky (2006 – 2009), Co-founder, Phoenix Center for Advanced Legal and Economic Public Policy Studies (2006 – 2009).
- Robert C. Atkinson (2001 – 2006), former Deputy Chief, Common Carrier Bureau, Federal Communications Commission
- Johnson R. Hoffman (1999 – 2001), former executive, Sprint Corporation
- Alan C. Hasselwander (1996 – 1999), former CEO, Frontier Communications
The Commission’s designations of entities to serve as the North American Numbering Plan Administrator (NANPA) and Local Number Portability Administrator (LNPA) were based on the NANC's recommendations. Since its inception, the NANC has provided recommendations to the Commission which have addressed a myriad of issues, including wireline/wireless integration for local number portability, abbreviated dialing arrangements, the neutrality of toll free database administration, and the feasibility of establishing a 3-Digit Dialing Code for a National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Hotline System. The NANC is currently working on issues related to Call Authentication Trust Anchor.
The NANC's tasks and objectives are defined in the following Commission proceedings:
Telephone Number Portability, CC DOcket No. 95-116, First Memorandum Opinion and Order on Reconsideration, 12 FCC Rcd 7236 (1998), Released 3/11/1998 Word
Implementation of the Local Competition Provisions of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, CC Docket No. 96-98, Second Report and Order and Memorandum Opinion and Order, 11 FCC Rcd 19392 (1996), Released 8/8/1996 Word
Telephone Number Portability, CC Docket No, 95-116, First Report and Order and Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, 11 FCC Rcd 8352 (1996), Released 6/28/1996 Word
Adminstration of the North American Numbering Plan, CC Docket No, 92-237, Report and Order, 11 FCC Rcd 2588 (1995), Released 7/13/1995 Word