Conversion programs and tools have been written by the FCC's Office of Engineering and Technology to convert assignment data extracted from the various Commission radios licensing systems into the Master Frequency File Data Base System (MFFDBS) format. These programs were originally written in Microsoft's Visual Basic Professional (version 6.0) using the MS Jet engine DAO, i.e., Access 2003. The setup program, source code and program documentation are now provided in both version 6.0 and .NET versions. Users are free to modify the programs.
The Spectrum Utilization Study Software (SUSS) software described below was developed by the Office of Engineering and Technology to conduct spectrum utilization studies. The following information provides an overview of this software. The sofware is available below in both VB.NET and VB 6.0 versions.
Please Note: These programs are subject to change without notice -- use at your own risk!
This software is supplied "as is" without any warranties and/or support. The FCC assumes no liability related to the use of the software provided. Running the software may change library files that are associated with the Windows operating system. The file descriptions below apply to both .NET and 6.0 version of the software.
- Master Frequency File Data Base System (MFFDBS) is a relational database containing technical and administrative information extracted from the various Federal Communication Commission's radio licensing system. The structure of this relational database has been designed to optimize the conducting of spectrum management and usage studies. Documentation describing file structure of MFFDBS is contained in the file mffstr.pdf
- Antenna Site Database (AntSiteDb) All the “convert” programs use a common antenna site data set. This requires the creating of a database which consists of “Registrations” files of the “Antenna Structure Registration” data set (see, “http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=transaction&page=weekly”) and the creation of “AntSiteDb’s A, B, C & D” tables using the program “Antenna Site Database” (“AntSiteDb”).
Download VB 6.0 version: AntSiteDb
- Convert Tower Data (CnvTwrData) is used to create a supplemental data set of antenna structures based on data found on the web. Many of the major commercial antenna tower companies along with the major cellular and PCS operators publish on the web information on their antenna site locations in the hopes of renting antenna space to other users. Some of these tower are also recorded in the “Antenna Structure Registration” database. Currently, this programs only handles the following nine data sets: American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T), American Tower Corporation (ATC), Crown Castle International (CCI), Global Tower Partners (GTP), KGI Wireless (Kampen and Greenwell, Inc.), SBA (SBA Communications Corporation), Sprint, T-Mobile, TowerCo and Vangard Wireless. These datasets are not available from the FCC.
Download VB 6.0 version: CnvTwrData
- Geographic Area Index Database (BldGAInd) is used to build a FIPS MS Access database using the flat ASCII file "fips_area_perimeter_data.dat". This database is needed to run the MffTools program. This database contains data that relates the FIPS code with the textual name of the State and County it represents.
Download VB 6.0 version: BldGAInd
- Convert CDBS (CnvCdbs) converts assignment data extracted from the Media Bureaus' Consolidated Database System (CDBS) into a relational database. CDBS contains licensing information on AM, FM and TV assignments. See Rule Part 74 for licensing information.
Download VB 6.0 version: CnvCdbs
- COALS Please visit the COALS page for COALS more information. www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/cable-system-registration The Media Bureau no longer provides a database download for the COALS database so the COALS module has been removed this version.
- Convert IBFS (CnvIbfs) converts assignment data extracted from the International Bureaus' Filing System (IBFS) into relational database, See Rule Parts 73/74, 23 and 25 for licensing information.
Download VB 6.0 version: CnvIbfs
- Convert ULS (CnvUls) converts assignment data extracted from the Wireless Telecommunication Bureaus' Universal Licensing System (ULS) into relational database. This program can be used to process the following ULS systems: Aircraft (47 CFR Part 87), Cellular (47 CFR Part 22), Paging (47 CFR Part 22), Microwave (47 CFR Parts 74 and 101), Personal Communications Service (47 CFR Part 24), Instructional Television Fixed Service (ITFS) and Multipoint Distribution Service (MDS) (47 CFR Part 74 subpart I and 47 CFR Part 21 Subpart K) and Antenna Structure Registration (47 CFR Part 17).
Download VB 6.0 version: CnvUls
- Master Frequency File Tools (MffTools) permits the user to extract radio assignment information from the Master Frequency File database system according to several extraction criteria and export the assignment data in MapInfo's "MIF" and "MID" format. The "MID" and "MIF" files can be view using either MapInfo Professional (any version) or any geographical information system (GIS) program that can process "MIF" and "MID" files.
Download VB 6.0 version: MffTools
Two additional modules which are not required components of the SUSS software:
- Map Antenna Structure Registration (MapAsr) permits the user to extract csv files, all the structure records contained in a MS Access database created by the Convert Antenna Structure Registration (CnvAsr) program.
Download VB 6.0 version: MapAsr
- Convert Antenna Structure Registration Database (CnvAsr) is used to build a MS Access database using ASR data.
Download VB 6.0 version: CnvAsr