Broadcasters: for your convenience, print these instructions and collect the necessary data before you file the STA request. Also see the Digital Radio page for related information.
STA requests for increased FM digital power, pursuant to the Media Bureau’s January 27, 2010, Order in MM Docket 99-325, must be filed using the temporary procedure set forth in the Commission's January 11, 2022 Public Notice, DA 22-29.
- .Attach a narrative exhibit with the following information:
- The amount of digital power requested, expressed as a percentage of analog effective radiated power (“ERP”), or in decibels relative to analog carrier ERP (“dBc”). Most requests will be for 4 percent of analog ERP, or 14 dB below analog ERP; i.e., -14 dBc. If requesting greater power (up to a maximum of 10 percent of analog ERP (-10 dBc), a showing of eligibility must be made. See Paragraph 20 of the Order. Also, super-powered FM stations have additional eligibility requirements. See Paragraph 15 of the Order.
- Technical contact information; i.e., the name and telephone number of the person responsible for the station’s technical operation, for use in the event of an interference problem.
- The type of digital operation proposed; e.g., low-level combined, high-level combined, dual antenna, dual feed. If dual antenna operation is proposed, the license file number, geographic coordinates and elevation data for the licensed auxiliary antenna to be used for the digital signal. Also, if interleaved antenna bays are employed, a certification that sufficient filtering equipment has been installed to reduce spurious emissions below the level required by Section 73.317.
- The analog, digital and, if appropriate, combined transmitter power outputs for the proposed operation, taking into account all system losses and antenna gains.
- A certification that, with the exception of the digital power level requested, the proposed digital operation will comply with the technical specifications set forth in Appendix B of the First Report and Order in MM Docket No. 99-325.
- The Anti-Drug Abuse Certification available here: https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/anti-drug-abuse-act-certification.