The Low Power Television Service (LPTV) was established by the Federal Communication Commission in 1982. It was primarily intended to provide opportunities for locally-oriented television service in small communities, both rural and individual, within larger urban areas. LPTV presents a less expensive and very flexible way of delivering programming tailored to the interests of viewers in small localized areas, providing a means of local self-expression. In addition, LPTV has created abundant opportunities for new entry into television broadcasting and has permitted fuller use of the broadcast spectrum. The Video Division is responsible for processing applications for Television Translator stations. TV Translator stations are stations in the broadcast service operated for the purpose of retransmitting the programs and signals of a TV broadcast station.
The Commission has mandated that all analog LPTV and TV Translator stations are required to convert to digital operations and cease analog operations by July 13, 2021 at 11:59pm.
- Upcoming Deadlines for LPTV/TV Translator Stations
- Upcoming July 13, 2021 Construction Permit Expiration Deadline
- Media Bureau Reminds Remaining Analog Low Power Television and Television Translator Stations Without Digital Construction Permits to File Immediately in Order to Ensure A Successful Digital Transition
- Media Bureau Reminds Low Power Television and Television Translator Stations of July 13, 2021, Digital Transition Date
- Analog Stations Without a Digital Construction Permit - Note: The list in this Appendix is current as of June 9, 2021, and may not reflect stations that were cancelled or filed for digital construction permits on or after that date.
- Incentive Auction Phase Assignment
- LPTV Fact Sheet
Our popular internet queries may be used to retrieve information about television and radio broadcast stations.
- AM Query
- FM Query
- TV Query
- DTV Reception Maps
- CDBS Public Access Search
- Children’s Programming Fact Sheet
- Children’s Programming Query
- List of TV Translator Input Channels as of July 23, 2021
- Mailing Addresses for Broadcast Stations
- Remember to Rescan!