This article provides information on Modifying a License in the Universal Licensing System (ULS). You would modify a license to change technical or legal parts of an existing license. For example, adding a frequency, increasing the power of an antenna, or changing the regulatory status of a license are all things that are filed on a modification application.
Changes to administrative information on your license such as mailing address, phone number, or e-mail address are handled by filing an Administrative Update.
Steps to Filing a Request to Modify a License in ULS
- Log in to ULS Online Filing with your FCC Registration Number (FRN) and password or FRN and FCC Username Password.
Note: If you are taken to the My Applications page, click My Licenses to begin the steps below.
- Towards the bottom left of the screen, Enter the call sign of the license you want to modify and click Go.
- On the top right of the screen, Click Update under Work on This License.
- On the Select Updates screen, check the Technical Data box and click Continue.
- Make your changes, sign your application and click Submit Application.
Note: By typing your first and last name in the name fields you have signed your application.
FAQs – Filing a Request to Modify a License in ULS
Will I owe a filing fee?
Some modification applications require a fee; however it depends on what information is changed on the license. ULS will automatically determine if a fee is required and tell you the amount once you complete your application. If fees are due, they can be paid online as soon as you submit your application.
Additional information about fees is available at the Wireless Fees page.
Why don’t I see an Update link as indicated in step 3?
Make sure your license is active. Licenses with a status of expired, cancelled, or terminated cannot be modified.
How do I know if my application is received at the FCC?
Applications will appear either the next business day in ULS Application Search or two businesses days later for applications filed on a weekend or federal holiday. Enter the file number in the ULS Application Search to find your application.
How can I change information on my application after I submit it?
You can file an Amendment Application.