U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

What is ULS and how does it work?

The Universal Licensing System (ULS) is the consolidated database and application filing system for most Wireless Radio Services. ULS supports electronic filing and provides public access to licensing information, weekly Public Notices, FCC rulemakings, processing utilities, a telecommunications glossary, and much more. Below are just a few of the significant benefits ULS offers wireless applicants and licensees:


  • Online Edits catch mistakes and incorrect data as they are entered, avoiding long delays that occur when incomplete applications are returned by the Commission.
  • Automatic Fee Calculation tabulates the correct fees for your applications and provides a choice of easy payment methods online or through the mail.
  • Immediate Receipt Confirmation of Applications ensures that your application is received by the FCC for processing the day you submit it.

Read more on Getting Started with ULS.



What is an FRN?

The FCC Registration Number (FRN) is the 10-digit number assigned to all entities (individual and corporate) that transact business with the FCC, and it must be provided any time an application is filed in ULS. Here are some important facts about the FRN:

  • All ULS and ASR users that have existing licenses and were registered in the ULS TIN Registration database prior to December 3, 2001, were issued an FRN. Search by your call sign in ULS License Search (accessible from the ULS Home). Your FRN will appear on the License Search results page.
  • If you do not have an FRN, you must register with the FCC.
  • Once you have registered, you must return to ULS and associate any existing call signs you have with your new FRN.

Read more about CORES and the FRN (pdf) .


What is my ULS / CORES password?

You need a password, assigned by the CORES registration system, to login to ULS and file applications. Please note: Read more about passwords in Getting Started in ULS.

What form(s) do I need to file?

Applications are required to be submitted online with ULS. Read more about Getting Started in ULS. Read more about ASR.

What is the status of my license or application?

Whether you have filed electronically or manually, you can quickly determine the status of your application through ULS Application Search or the status of your license through ULS License Search. Both search engines can be accessed from the ULS Home. Note: Applications saved during the current business day will not appear in ULS Application search.

Why won't my call sign(s) appear in the pick list when I log in to ULS with my FRN and password?

Your Call Sign(s) may not have been associated with your FRN. After you have received your FRN and password, you must associate any existing call signs you have in the database with your FRN. Follow these steps: If you have intentionally or accidentally received more than one FRN, your call signs may have been associated with a different FRN than the one you used to login to ULS. Access ULS License Search from the ULS Home and search by call sign. The FRN associated with that call sign will appear on the search results screen. You must use this FRN and its associated password to login to ULS. If the call sign is not associated with the desired FRN, follow the numbered instructions above, selecting Re-Associate instead of Associate at step 4.

How do I pay fees?

Filing online with ULS makes paying for your applications easy. When you complete an application in ULS and choose Submit, you will be taken to a confirmation screen where you can click "Continue to CORES for Payment Completion" which will take you to CORES. All payments are now required to be paid through CORES with a Username and password. This a simple, secure way of paying required fees and saves you time because no paper Form 159 is required. Payments must be made within 10 days of submitting your application through ULS. Instructions for making payments in CORES for individual filers, can be found at our website Payment Process - ULS Individual Filers Read more about application fees.

How do I complete FCC Form 601, Form 603, or Form 605?

Applications for wireless services are required to be submitted through ULS. It simplifies application and licensing filing and reduces processing time through secure, worldwide Internet access. From ULS Home, click on the Online Filing button, login with your FRN and password, and proceed through the online application process. Choose the "?" icon on any screen within ULS for more help. You can contact ULS Licensing Support and Forms Information for assistance.

What is the difference between an Assignment of Authorization and a Transfer of Control?

An Assignment of Authorization (Purpose Code AA) must be requested from the FCC when a license is assigned to another party. An Assignment of Authorization involves a complete transfer of controlling interest in ownership in the license and generally involves the changing of the Licensee name. A Transfer of Control (Purpose Code TC) must be requested from the FCC when the transfer of controlling interest in the ownership of a licensee entity to another party or parties occurs. A Transfer of Control involves a transfer of controlling interest in ownership but generally does not involve the changing of the Licensee name. Refer to 47 CFR 1.948 for additional information regarding assignment of authorization or transfer of control. To complete a Transfer of Control or Assignment of Authorization, select the appropriate filing purpose in ULS.

What is the current fee to file an application?

The fee to file an application within ULS varies depending on your radio service and the purpose of your application. Some entities are fee-exempt. If you submit an application through ULS, your fees will be automatically calculated for you. See the Application Processing Fees Page for current Fee Filing Guide.

How do I get a refund for a dismissed/withdrawn/deleted application?

Requests for a refund of a fee paid to the FCC can be submitted using one of three methods:

  • Submit your request online at https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/available-support-services.  Click on "Sumbit a help request" and complete the form and attach any documentation. (Recommended method)
  • Mail a written request to:
    Federal Communications Commission
    1270 Fairfield Road
    Gettysburg, PA 17325-7245
  • Fax the request to (717) 338-2690. Indicate Attn: Fee Refund on the cover sheet.

Please provide your FRN, the file number of the application, and all other information related to the filing. Complete information will help avoid delays in processing the refund request. If the application was paid for by credit card, and less than 12 months from the original payment, refunds will be deposited back to the credit card that was used. Please provide a valid email address and a receipt of the refund transaction will be emailed to you. The Department of Treasury also requires that the FRN registration include a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN.) If the FRN does not include an SSN or EIN, you must update your FRN registration in the CORES system to include this information before submitting a refund request.


Who or what are frequency coordinators and how do I find one?

Frequency coordinators are private organizations that have been certified by the Commission to recommend the most appropriate frequencies for applicants in the designated Part 90 radio services. Applications for new frequency assignments, changes to existing facilities, or operation at temporary locations must include a showing of frequency coordination. View lists of frequency coordinators for Public Safety or Industrial / Business licensees.

  • If you had a password for ULS or ASR prior to Dec 3, 2001, you may still use it; however, passwords must now be between 6 and 15 characters in length. If your older password contained less than 6 characters, CORES has added one or more asterisk (*) symbols to the end to make it 6 characters long. Similarly, CORES has eliminated all characters following the 15th place in longer passwords.
  • If you don't know or have forgotten your password, contact FCC Support.
  • If you have previously filed an application with the Commission through a third party such as a Volunteer Exam Coordinator (VEC) or Private Land Mobile Frequency Coordinator, you have automatically been assigned an FRN and password. To obtain them, contact FCC Support.
  • You can change your password at any time by logging intoFRN Registration.
  • FCC 601-Use the 601 to file initial applications as well as most licensing-related requests and notifications.
  • FCC 602-Use the 602 to provide information regarding license ownership as required by FCC rules.
  • FCC 603-Use Form 603 to assign wireless licenses from one party to another, including partitioning or disaggregation, and transfer control of wireless licenses that require FCC approval or notifications.
  • FCC 605-Use this short form for applications in the Amateur, Ship, Aircraft, Restricted and Commercial Operator, and General Mobile Radio services.
  • FCC 854-Use Form 854 for Antenna Structure Registration (ASR).
  1. Return to ULS Home, and click the Log In button.
  2. On the next screen, log in with your FRN and password and click Submit.
  3. Select Associate Licenses With Your FRN on the Task Menu.
  4. Options will appear on the Task Menu to Associate, Re-associate, or Disassociate. Select Associate.
  5. Enter the call signs you wish to associate with your FRN and follow the onscreen prompts and instructions to complete the association process.
  6. When you reach the Confirmation page, select the Return to License Manager button to continue with your online filing.
Friday, September 29, 2023